a good reasonably priced pocket pistol that will get the job done?

• Thread starter Thread starter dw
  • Start date Start date

dw

I am looking for something to buy my dad for christmas and was wondering what a good reliable and reasonably priced pocket pistol would be. thank you derek

Hate to answer a question with a question...but what would the mission for the gun be??? Home defence, concealed carry, casual plinker, or target gun. Just to give you an example, I have had good experience with the Bersa Series 95 in .380. I have had this weapon for about 2 years and have had no difficulties as of yet. This gun cost me about $200.00. It serves as my "tuxedo gun and pillow gun".

There are other weapons available in larger calibers, and those that will cost you more. Buying a gun for somebody else is always a tough thing. You just cannot predict how a particular handgun will fit somebody else, or what their predispositions are. This may put a burr under your saddle, but maybe you should get a gift certificate to the shop you want to make the purchase at and let your dad make his own selection.

------------------
"By His stripes we are healed..."

PeterGunn

[This message has been edited by PeterGunn (edited December 04, 1999).]

Take a look at the Makarov, especially (if you can find one) an East German model. Well made, finely finished and can be had for under $200. For more info, go to www.makarov.com.

------------------
Mossyrock
Curmudgeon In Training

Bersa Thunder Lite, .380 ACP (7+1) PPK clone and a very good one at that. My current lowest price that I've found on the net is $163, more typically about $190 NIB. They are a quite superb pocket or backup pistol for the money and contrary to popular belief the .380 can cause plenty of damage, the Series 95 mentioned earlier is pretty much identical. Also of note, particularly in a gun to be given as a gift, is that the Thunder has comprehensive safeties, unusual in such a reasonably priced weapon, also available as a 9+1 in the form of the DLX version for those of us with big hands. This gun is one of the few genuine bargains currently on the market at present IMHO.

------------------
Mike H

If your dad appreciates the finer things, I think a S&W J frame would be a great present.
Simple, traditional, attractive and reliable. However, for a pocket gun, I think its a bit large. In the titanium versions, though, it's very light weight.

I recently bought a Kel-tec P-32 and this has to be the definition of pocket pistol. 6.6oz unloaded so it's light enough to carry around every day. With the belt clip it can be easily carried while wearing shorts and an untucked t-shirt without being detected yet is very comfortable to wear. Its probably half the size of a S&W J frame as well. The
only drawback is the small caliber and the fact that often Kel-tecs out of the box require a bit of polishing (slide rails, feed ramp) to operate 100% reliably.

The problem with an all-steel PPK or a Makarov is, again, weight and, in the case of the Makarov, bulk. The Mak is a hefty pistol for its mag capacity and caliber. The PPK has an advantage in that its a classic. I'd love to get one as a present :)

Reliable and reasonable priced pocket pistol-
sounds like Mak in 9x18. It's just a bit
bigger than true pocket pistol, but comes
real close - no problem to put in a pocket... But it's damn reliable and
reasonably priced for sure...Also, some of Maks (not Bulgarian ones), but mostly East
German and sometimes Russian ones, are finished very nicely and really look like a classy solid piece of hardware from old fashioned steel- your dad will like it.

Consider what your dad would be most adept at using. The S&W J frame is a great piece for someone not real familiar with weapons.
The Taurus 85 is about the same at a better
price and can be had in a lightweight model for not much more.
If he's firearms savy, the 380 autos are flatter in the pocker and a little easer
to conceal IMO.
Consider also his hand size.
Good Luck,

Dave

I'll only speak for myself as I don't
know other's skill level. I have a fair
number of training experience but no
pro.

I love my SW 642. With appropriate pants
(meaning big pockets), it goes everywhere.

It is reliable and fires a reasonable
38 SPL round.

As far as accuracy - out to 7 yards, I can
fire four inch groups with 50 rounds.
Ragged hole in the middle.

The price is about $330 at TX gun shows.
You can get 442s for about $300.

Similar Taurus guns are about $260.

It goes everywhere with me if I don't
carry a belt gun. The 342 is a touch
lighter. I once posted my thoughts about
it after I fired one and my 642 side by
side. Either works but the 342 is for
folks with more experience and not
freaked by a stiffer recoil.

Some of the smaller pocket guns are neat
- like the 32s but the J frames are great
all around guns.

I have an FEG APK (Walther PPK/S copy) that I use. Very reliable, nice looking (GO 007) and shoots well. It is a bit heavy for an pocket :) but I have an inside the pant's holster (Clips on) and I don't even notice it :)

Colt Mustang Pocketlite. at 12OZ and mild recoil because it is the only locked breech 380, feeds all the hollow points too. can't go wrong. Does cost $350.

I usually have my S&W 642 in a pocket holster with me but if the occasion demands shorts, I use a Colt Pocketlite 380.

I recently got a Taurus 85 S/S lightweight (17 ozs.) It shoots +p and only cost $250 brand new. Goes bang every time and has more power than most pocket pistols..

Instead of picking something out for your Dad
why not get him a Gift Certificate Or Store Credit in a Reasonable amount and let him pick out what works best for him.

'Reasonable pricing' is in the eye of the beholder. That said, you cannot beat a J frame Smith for simplicity, value (how many lifetimes will it last?) and quality. Consider a 'hammerless' J frame such as the airweight 442 or its steel counterparts. I gave my father a M60 under similar circumstances over 20 years ago. The hammerless guns were out of production at the time.

------------------

Back