A good gunsmith in California ?

MusclesMcGee

I tried doing a search on this forum and came up with nothing. So, anyone know of a Gunsmith in California who specializes in 1911s ? Kings Custom is pretty close to me but out of my price range. Just want basic work done from a reliable smith. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by MusclesMcGee (edited February 08, 2000).]

Les Brown in Bakersfield does only 1911's
and is a master craftsmen .
The guy at B&B does good work , but is allways way backed up .
What part of this over controled state are you located ?
Randy

Thanks for responding. I had heard Keith Whaley's name mentioned before and will probably contact him. Les Baer would be nice, but would probably run about as much as Kings.

By "B&B" do you mean B&B sales in North Hollywood ? I live in L.A. and travel to the Bay Area frequently. Would definetly consider someone in the East Bay.

Talk to Mac Scott and his folks at Scott, Macdougal and Company. They are in Coati, CA. Their website is http://www.colt380.com.

------------------
Mossyrock
Curmudgeon In Training

[This message has been edited by Mossyrock (edited February 08, 2000).]

I don't know if they are still in business, but while notquite in the East Bay, there was F. Bob Chow in San Francisco. In the 40's, 50's and 60's they were reknowned for their work on the 1911's. I've got two of their ,45's and I would not part with either of them. I would imagine their prices would be competitive with the better smiths, but so is their work.
Paul B.

For the S.F. Bay Area there's John Jardine in Hayward at 510-489-8477. I believe he's told me before that his uncle was the late great Armand Swenson. I've seen some of his work and it's quite nice.

Paul B.,
Bob Chow has long since retired from the business. FWIW, his guns are quite collectible and sought after by folks looking for Old School customs.

Back