A good deed

Glockstar .40

A friend of mines jeep broke down the other day and was going to cost him a lot of money that he doesn't have. So he was going to sell some of his guns to pay for it. My wife and I discussed it and decided that we didn't want him to have to do that, so I offered to write him a check for any amount he needed to get it fixed. And in turn he gave me a kimber series 1 compact stainless. Woohoo! I insisted he didn't have to do that but he wanted to anyways.

It always feels good to be able to help someone out and it always feels good getting a new gun.

Anyone else have a time they would like to share when a good deed came back to you getting a new gun?

This isn't quite the same thing because I didn't end up with the gun, but one time I loaned my buddy $100 and he insisted I held on to his scoped .22 Marlin and it's (very nice) case for collateral. I told him it wasn't necessary, but like I said he insisted so I took it and held it for the week he needed to pay me back.

Anyway the point is that even if he couldn't pay me back I would have given the gun back to him anyway, probably after two or so weeks(it was his only firearm at the time so I didn't want to render him completely defenseless). He paid me back though so I gave him back his rifle.

No good deed goes unpunished.

According to Judge Judy, you should never loan money to family and/or friends.

But if you do, get the agreement in writing. ;)

My rule of thumb is to never lend money unless you don't care if you get it back.

Many years ago a friend got into a financial fix and I lent him about $600. He insisted on giving me a couple guns (worth more than $600). I considered them collateral but I guess he thought he sold them to me because about 5 years later I asked him when he was going to reclaim the guns and he was shocked that I still had them.

"Your guns" I shrugged. "I've just been holding them and frankly I need the space in the safe."

He repaid me and I returned the guns.

I helped move out a friends grandparents and they had an old Carcano bolt action and 20rds of original ammo. I told them I was interested in buying it but they said I could have it for free, I still gave them $50 though.

The thing about loaning money to friends is you have to be pretty good at choosing your friends. I don't know how much money I lost choosing badly.

Banks and pawn shops love to loan money. If they can not trust your friends, why should you?

If you loan someone $20 and never hear from them again it was money well spent.

I bought a Steyr years ago from a friend who was in a bind and needed to sell guns for some cash. I gave it to him for his next birthday.

It was never meant to be a loan. I don't like loans as they can be rough on friendships. We were just gonna help him out so he didn't have to worry about paying us back.

I think ya done good all the way around.

The other day, I got to help out a young couple with a bum battery in their car and I got to pet their cute little fuzzy dog. I think that was a good deal.

Back