A Fun, Exciting, Dazzling "What should I buy" thread

Adizzle19

Thinking of buying a new or used pistol, maybe in the 300-500$ range. My collection includes a 9mm sw shield, G19 gen 2, and a walther p22, which would be traded or sold to make the new purchase happen. The purpose of the pistol would be fun, mostly, but I wouldn't buy a pistol of it couldn't possibly serve some kind of defensive role, however small of a niche. Planning on ditching the p22 because it's a little picky on ammo and I'm not psyched about the DA/SA trigger and safety setup. I've been thinking about replacing it with the following:

1. A .22 revolver, like the LCR, or another pistol like an SR22
2. A full-ish size 9mm striker pistol with a rail, like an MP9
3. A full-ish size .40 striker pistol with a rail, like and MP40, or something I could easily and cheaply convert to 9mm so could shoot more kinds of ammo
4. A Full size .45 with a rail - again maybe an MP45 or equivalent.
5. A full-ish size .357 revolver

6. Just for kicks, I've been wanting for some time a cheapish way to get into a pistol caliber carbine. 9mm would fit the bill.

The only hangup in this situation is that I live in MA. I'd get a railed glock for sure but they can be a little tricky to find here and can command a premium over my budget. The same can be said for most pistols capable of accepting preban magazines over 10 rounds.

Ruger GP100 357 magnum
Springfield XDM 3.8 compact in any of the above mentioned automatic rimless calibers.

Those would be my first 2 choices lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a 357, look at GP100 or SP101 by Ruger. the 1st carries 6 & the 2nd holds 5
shots.
A 9mm that has a mag that loads 10, try looking at a Glock 26.

Last, look at American Arms 5 shot 22 mag derringer. That's real close up SD.

Good hunting.

The Ruger GP 100 in a 4-1/4" barrel is a great handling all around pistol that is a lot of fun to shoot. You DO NEED a revolver. Get it in stainless steel and it will get prettier every year. Since it will last three lifetimes and get better looking with each passing year you will need to have grandchildren (eventually) to pass it on to. :)

Thinking of buying a new or used pistol, maybe in the 300-500$ range. My collection includes a 9mm sw shield, G19 gen 2, and a walther p22, which would be traded or sold to make the new purchase happen. The purpose of the pistol would be fun, mostly, but I wouldn't buy a pistol of it couldn't possibly serve some kind of defensive role, however small of a niche. Planning on ditching the p22 because it's a little picky on ammo and I'm not psyched about the DA/SA trigger and safety setup. I've been thinking about replacing it with the following:

1. A .22 revolver, like the LCR, or another pistol like an SR22
2. A full-ish size 9mm striker pistol with a rail, like an MP9
3. A full-ish size .40 striker pistol with a rail, like and MP40, or something I could easily and cheaply convert to 9mm so could shoot more kinds of ammo
4. A Full size .45 with a rail - again maybe an MP45 or equivalent.
5. A full-ish size .357 revolver

6. Just for kicks, I've been wanting for some time a cheapish way to get into a pistol caliber carbine. 9mm would fit the bill.

The only hangup in this situation is that I live in MA. I'd get a railed glock for sure but they can be a little tricky to find here and can command a premium over my budget. The same can be said for most pistols capable of accepting preban magazines over 10 rounds.

1 isn't much of a self defense gun.

2 and 3 are pretty close to the G-19 you have now. Sell it, and get one with a rail.

4 or 5 probably isn't happening in your budget, unless you find something used. For revolvers stick to Ruger and S&W. Taurus only if you inspect and test carefully.

6, you're looking at a Hi Point carbine or maybe a Kel Tec Sub 2000, if you can find one.

I would sell the finnecky Walther, and buy a Ruger .22 auto, either a 22/45 or their SR22.

If you don't really need the rail, everything changes.

All are good options, but if I were selling my only .22 pistol I'd HAVE to replace it with another.22 pistol before even considering another handgun.

Personally I'd go with a Mark IV or Buckmark, but looking at some of your other "wants" I think an M&P22 might be better for you, as it could eventually be a trainer if you ever get a full sized M&P9 or 40.

I'd scoop up an mp22 in a heartbeat if they were on the ma roster. The only reason I'm looking for a 9mm is specifically because I have 9mm already. I'd consider adding a .40 or .45 if it gave me something slightly different than the G19, hence the requirement of a rail.

I just shot my Ruger Vaquero in .357 the other day and it sure is a hoot to shoot.

For a "fun" gun its hard to beat, though if I could do it again I'd get a Blackhawk for the better sights.

I have a GP100 in .357 and I love it. It's a hoot to shoot and revolvers are just dang fun. I'm getting a single 10 next.

After re-reading your post, I went and brought to my range my GP 100 4.2"
357 mag revolver. I'm in an indoor range and was putting my shots in 1.5 " to 2" groups at 50 feet. I forgot how much fun it was, but will stick with my 2 -9mm Glocks. My GP will always be there as backup in case I need a really big load for hunting and camping.

A medium frame 357 with a 3, 4, 5, or 6 inch barrel.

I love my 6.5" Blackhawk, and you can buy them with an extra cylinder that shoots 9mm.

A good revolver is a wonderous thing. :)

Back