A first wheelgun

1911Fencer

Well, reading and looking and shooting a lot makes me itch for something I don't have... A revolver. I've never been much of a fan of wheelguns, tho I do respect them. I've always preferred autos, and will likely shoot them a majority of the time.

Well, I'd like to find me a revolver, mostly something to just plink with, maybe with adjustable sights for target shooting. Something to keep loaded in the nightstand instead of my favorite auto, so I can keep my precious locked up!

I'd prefer a .357, so I can shoot .38spl through it, but since I'd likely stick to shooting .38spl, a .38 would do just fine. Standard 6 round capacity is fine

I'd like at least a 4 inch bbl, if not 5 or 6 inches.

Finish is not too critical, it would be a shooter, not a looker for me.

transfer bar would be desireable (I gather that's what it means when the actual firing pin is NOT on the hammer)

PRICE. since it's not going to be a looker, and will likely only be using it for plinking and informal target shooting, I'd like something inexpensive. Under $200 would be great. I think someone mentioned the retired police issue .38s go for around $150.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome! I'm looking forward to finding a decent wheelgun and hope I enjoy shooting one!

M@
;)

If you want quality, you may spend more than $200. You can get some used S&W's around that price range if you look hard, but you will usually have the hammer mounted firing pin. Look into some used Rugers. They have almost every configuration you could ask for. A GP100 sounds like it might be what you are looking for. If that is too pricey, look into Taurus' product line. They have a lot of neat stuff. Let us know what you wind up getting. :)

Welcome to the world of revolvers! I'm a guy who loves revolvers and I am *just* getting into semi-autos. You said you wanted some recommendations on a first revolver? Here are some very promising candidates:

If you want "just one revolver" I'd have to say, go for a Ruger GP-100. With either a 3", 4" or 6" barrel this gun will do anything you ask of it. Go ahead and get it in stainless, so as long as you take decent care of it, you will never have to worry about it. To me, the full-lug barrel seems to point better. These guns are built like bank-vaults...it is virtually impossible to "wear one out." They are also *VERY* accurate and very simple to clean/care for. I have a KGP-141 (4" barrel, stainless, adj sights, full lug) and I am absolutely thrilled with it!

Other good choices given your criterion would be a S&W 19 (blued) or 66 (stainless). Your choice on 2 3/4" or 4" barrel. These are great guns that you can often find used at a gun show in good condition for a great price.

The only other revolver I would highly recommend is the Ruger Speed Six/Security Six line. Again, it's not too much of a challenge to find one of these great handguns in great condition at a show.

Any one of the handguns mentioned would be a great "range gun" to target shoot/plink with. AND any of them would be a very good "home/self defense" weapon. Those 110-125 grain Jacketed Hollowpoints are just fearsome!

Good luck and happy blasting!
Mntneer357

My suggestion would be a S&W mod 19 but I think you'll be hard pressed to find one under $200. I do see them around for $225/250 though. You can get S&W mod 15s for under $200 but they are 38s. The nice thing about mod 15s is that they almost always have very good triggers and are accurate. I don't have any experience with Ruger double actions (can't get past how they look) but they get raves here on TFL. Look around and find out what fits your hand the best.
Oh, and welcome to the world of revolvers. Except for 1911s, they are the only handguns I shoot anymore.

I recommend most revolvers made by S&W and Ruger. I own both brands and have had great luck with them. Dan Wesson is another very good choice I am told.

I have ZERO experience with Taurus...though I hear a lot of good AND bad things about them.

If I were you, I'd rent at least one revolver from S&W, Ruger, and a few other brands (Colt, Dan Wesson, Taurus) before deciding. Afterall, my preferences likely won't be the same as yours. :)

I see lots of Model 19`s and Ruger police trade ins at the gun shows.

Model 19`s run about $300 around here. I don`t know about the Rugers though.

The .38 Special is fine for self-defense and plinking.
I have a S&W Model 66 and I only shoot .38 Specials in it.

I recently went to a gunshop with a friend who previously did not own a gun. He came out with a Police trade-in S&W Model 64 (stainless) for $180.00. It is an accurate revolver that I believe will serve him well.

Check out this thread by a TFL member who recently bought a S&W Model 10 for $120.00 -

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74276

The older S&W's have a hammer-block safety that will not let the hammer-mounted firing pin touch the primer without pulling the trigger to the rear.
IMO, this safety is as safe as any safety on a double-action revolver. I hear that the new S&W's with the new safety system do not have good trigger-pulls like the older ones.

Good luck in your quest for a revolver!

-Mk.IV

Even though its a little more than you are willing to spend, my new addition is a divine piece. Her name is Taurus. The stainless steel 7 shot Tracker model. Me and the wife both love shooting her. Spits out 38 and 357's like the devil she is. I am in love as you all can see. I wasn't interested in the titanium model since I knew the wife would want to shoot the hell out of it. Just figured the lightweight would of kicked too much for her. A great addition to anyones collection. All for the amazing low price of 340 NIB.

I thank everyone for the input! I am looking forward to getting a wheelgun. Right now, I'd have to get something pretty cheap (inexpensive), or wait until probably January. I checked out Ruger's page, and I really like a couple of their models, so I might just wait until the end of the year, when I get my bonus, to find a good revolver. I figure it's worth waiting for a while to get a good peice, rather than get a cheapo one now. I'm gonna go to the local gun show here in a week or so, and look at a few, just to see what's out there!

I'll definitely letcha know what I find, and of course, if I DO get anything!

M@

Your an ideal candidate for a used Dan Wesson Model 15 or 715. Dan's traditionally have low resale value due to higher demands for Colts and Smiths, but the lower price is in no way indicative of the quality. Dan Wessons will shoot with, or out shoot any competitor's product providing a minor leauge gunsmith hasn't fooled with it.
A used Model 15 in 90%+ can usually be found for $175 to $225 depending upon barrel length and configuration. Add about $20 for a 715, (Stainless).
Grips are available from a bunch of aftermarket sources, and most holsters made for a S&W "L" frame will work just fine.
I have accumulated many Dan Wessons over time, most were gun shop orphans looking for a good home. No regrets on any.
Hope this helps.
Take Care

Get a S&W 686. Best revolver for the money. Beats Dan Wesson and Python in accuracy in most cases. Plenty of used ones out there. If you are not into the boycot, they still produce them new.

My advice would be to go with a .357mag over a .38Spl. The extra reserve of the .357 is like having a V8 vs a V6 engine. You only notice it when it isn't there.

Take a bold step!

If you've got all the "modern" semiauto stuff why not take a bold step and move up to a good used Ruger Convertible SA Blackhawk which comes with a .357/.38 cylinder and a 9mm cylinder. That way you can also shoot up your excess 9mm ammo in it as well as enjoy the .357 magnum. It's doubtful anyhow that this fad of DA pistols and relvolvers will have much staying power, but a good SA pistol or revolver is a jewel for the ages. :) Dennis

Thanks for the input y'all! I think I will wait a while to save a few bux up, then get a Ruger. The GP-161 catches my eye bigtime, either finish, stainless or blued. I'm still gonna check at the gunshow next weekend, just to look around, maybe see if I find one for a price I can't pass up!

Will definitely let y'all know what I find, and if I get something!

REPEAT AFTER ME

Ruger 4" stainless GP100.

KGP-141

Ruger 4" stainless GP100.

KGP-141

(Add a Millett orange-ramp front sight blade and some custom grips...)

You will be so stinkin' happy.

I started out looking for a used S&W 686 when I stumbled across a firearm that puts the Smiths to bed. You can just look at a Ruger and see the strength. A red insert sight, a Wolff spring kit and a Hogue wood grip puts it all together.

You know you want one.....

Attachments

• gp141.jpg
    gp141.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 65
If you want cheap, and you want it now, why not get a S&W M10.
There are literally millions of them around.
In excellent mechanical shape, with moderate holster wear you will see them for around $150.

It's not uncommon to find them even cheaper.
Heck, the last actual M10 I got (as opposed to the older Military & Police) cost me $100 plus tax.

Not bad.

The ones you will get for $150 or so are the 4", heavy barrel, square butt, will come with either the standard wood grips, rubber hogue or rubber pachmayr grips.

These are of course .38 Special.
(Except some of the M10-6's, which are .357. Precursor to the M13)

Sure, in time you'll probably buy something bigger, newer, etc...
but you'll always love the M10.

If you must get .357 right off the bat; consider the M65. These are often available as police trade-in's. It's basically a stainless .357 version of the M10. Most are 4" square butt, some are 3" round butt. These are usually in the $200-250 range.

:)
-Kframe

Back