A First Step... But Good News, I Think!

Gunz-n-Rosie

I went to my dad's house on Father's Day. Wouldn't you know it... he left his BB gun in the dining room. My son surprised me. He did not touch it. He came to us instead and took us to the gun. Then he surprised me again. He didn't call it a bad gun, but instead asked "what is that?" and then "what is it for?" My dad showed it to him and explained he was using it to scare away the bad cat who had been hurting his two cats (sad, but true). He was satisfied with the answer and went on about his day. Yeah! A small step... but it makes me happy. Now I know I have to do a sweep of my dad's house everytime we go there. Yikes! Thank goodness I had been teaching him what to do. I hate to think what could have been. :(

See, this is what the Eddie Eagle and Granpa Jack programs do. They don't teach kids how to kill; they teach kids how to be safe.

Too bad there wasn't a video crew from CNN there, eh?

------------------
"We are going to fight. We are going to be hurt.
But in the end, we will stand."
--Roland Deschain

Hurray, a small step has been taken with your son. G&R, I am so derned happy for you and your efforts with your son. :D :D :D
I give you the 3 big grin salute.
==========
Heck make it the 4 B.G. Salute: :D :D :D :D

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited June 22, 1999).]

GnR YOU are to be applauded also for instilling this in your son. Much better then the all guns are bad approach which only feeds a childs natural curiosity.

We don't need more gun laws. What we need are more parents like you. :)

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

GnR--I'd say yours was a healthy response that, for the time being, satisfied youthful curiosity rather than piqued it or attempted to suppress it. Well done.

G 'n R - Yes indeed, good work! But your work's not done unless you reinforced to him that he did the right thing and that you are very proud of him and that he should never be afraid to come tell you or another adult if he sees something like that again. I have a feeling you did, but just in case.

GnR It does sound like you are coming along in your quest. Maybe next time this situation presents itself you, your son, and your dad could take the bb gun out in the back yard.
Let dad take a shot or two at a paper plate target "not the bad cat" and see what happens from there.
Best of luck and keep up the good work.
Hank

GnR,
As they say, "Teach your children well!"
You did! I'm really happy for you, and your son, and the country in which we still can do such things. Good for you! :D

Back