a few things very usefull on a hunt

hi everyone,
thought i´d post a pic or two of my hobby,
been making them since 2003 and find it alot of fun.

there are a bunch more pictures :-)

Cheers
Roger

Last edited:
They all look good.

I like #2, and the 2nd from the right in the group pic. It is hard to tell without something for perspective, but I'm guessing around a 5" blade on #2 and 3 1/2 to 4" on the other. What type of steel are you using?

Nice work. For deer cleaning, I like to use smaller blades like the one in the middle. Perfect size in my opinion.

Pix's_ What a {Nice} brace of knives.
It must take a bundle of patience to participate in such a hobby. No doubt those who do.~ are~~ Gifted.

fan

Your knives look good. Curious as to what steel you are using?

I'm a big fan of smaller, fixed blade knives, say 3" blade length max. I also like a lanyard hole on the rear of the tang. There I attach a loop of paracord, which allows the knife to dangle from wrist as I work with the hide or carcass of the animal when quartering same.

I do not like the sheath to dangle from the belt or dangle on a ring, or hang to low from the belt on a loop as some of your rigs do.....my tastes, your sheaths, no offense intended. I like the knife to ride high, sort of like how a mag carrier places a pistol mag.

Of the knives shown in the big pic, I like the looks of the one to the far left.

i use a few different steels.
carbon steels: A2, O1, 15N20 and sometimes 1095
stainless: rwl34, 12C27, Aeb-L and Elmax

Bamaranger, none taken, i make a few non dangling ones aswell. works well with smaller knives :)

Last edited:
Very nice. I would live to make knives but lack of skill and too many other hobbies it seems. Do you make yur sheaths as well. I have a smaller Knives of Alaska Alpha something. Absolutely love the knife, hate the sheath. Like the design of your friction fit ones.

Do you do stock removal from a blank or do you forge your own blades? Makes no difference to me as both are skills in their own rights. I have had a couple custom knives one was forged the other done from stock removal, I was equally pleased with both. I still have the one made from stock removal, I gave the forged one away as a thank you for letting me hunt gift.

I forged a couple back in a HS forging class I took in industrial arts from farrier rasps. They're as ugly as homemade sin, it takes a lot of practice to get to where you're at. I find the utility of a fixed 3-3.5" blade hard to beat as well.

Excellent work

Yes i make the bladet and the sheaths On my knives
Excellent work, All-around and showing some unique designs. I have made some blades but now pretty much restricted to making sheaths. I could tell by the pictures that you made the sheaths and the sticking indicates such. Of course, I and others prefer the had stitched sheaths. …… ;)

Thanks you for your post and;
Be Safe !!!

taylorce1
i do stock removal from a bar or plate..
if there comes upp a design that i want forged i have a freind who is very good att that.
3"-4" blades i find work best all round :)

pahoo
i find handstiched rather nice. (can´t afford a sewingmaching or justify it :) )

Agree !!!

i find handstiched rather nice. (can´t afford a sewingmaching or justify it )
Personally, I would not have it any other way. Hand stitching reflects custom work as oppose to production work. …… ;)

Be Safe !!!

Back