A few rimfire questions

Of all the crazy stuff I have and have had- I have yet to scratch my .17 itch. I always find some stoopid reason to talk myself out of it- such as being broke, needing to get a smaller cleaning rod, already up to my ears in .22's of different sorts, etc.

I've never tinkered with a Henry bolt, but based on the CZ's I have- I gotta pitch my vote that way.

Sooner or later, someone's gonna ask what you want it for- might as well tell us now. I don't know if there's much difference in price... not that it would matter to me as I've been itching for one for several years now.

I have a 17 HMR and love it. We can shoot small red squirrels at 100 yards with it. The rounds are a little expensive, around $15 for 50, but man is it accurate and fun to shoot. Never owned a 22 mag so can't comment on that end of your question. I have two friends who also own 17's, one says coyotes out to 100 yards no problem, the other says he's never found a coyote he's hit with his 17. Don't know the answer to that, shot placement maybe.

Neither one is more accurate than the other if you sight them in properly with ammunition that shoots well in your rifle. That is I'm assuming you will be buying a brand new rifle? Remember the .22 WMR came out in 1959, 43 years before the first .17 HMR hit the market. Cheap rifles of that era weren't as accurate as what is being produced today. .22 WMR will have more ammunition options as well as lower prices on the 40 grain more traditional rounds, and premium ammunition will cost the same as the HMR.

If you reload the small bore centerfire is more economical in the long run to shoot vs. the magnum rimfires. I can load 50 rounds of .223 for nearly the same cost as a box of premium magnum rimfire ammunition. Plus I get a wider variety of bullet choices to pick from.

Last edited:
I dunno- I just got a Natchez flyer and .17 is only a buck cheaper in it. It's getting pretty common now, so it kinda makes sense the price field is evening out. However, it may not be truly even for a while since they put kinda fancy polymer tipped bullets in the 17's.

By the way, that was another reason I procrastinated getting one. I wanted to be sure they were going to be successful and stick around a while. Dang reasons- I'm running out of em.

My dos centavos is the 22 will be cheaper to shoot and the CZ will give you more gun for the money but either will work fine.

Back