A few recent customer service experiences

jasmith85

I had never had to bother with contacting customer service over a firearm until recently, and I just thought that I would create a thread to put it out there how those recent interactions went.

The first company that I had to contact was Smith & Wesson. I bought an M&P Shield 9mm for my wife and there was an issue with the recoil spring. I called and talked to customer service and within minutes they were sending me a new recoil spring assembly at zero cost to me. About a month later I actually had to call them again to purchase a magazine spring for the same gun, because one of the springs had gotten bunched up in the magazine which bent it. Even though I offered to buy one they sent me one for free.

The next company I had to deal with was Rossi/Taurus. I bought a blemish Rossi matched pair .22/.410 for my son and it came with only the .410 barrel. The company that I bought it from (Kygunco) contacted Rossi and was told that the missing barrel would be sent to me, so I figured there is no reason to try and return it. Two months later I hadn't heard anything on it, so I contacted Kygunco about it and they talked to their Taurus rep who told them it would be shipped that week. The next day I got a call from Taurus telling me that I would have to pay for the barrel. According to the rep from Taurus, they knew the barrel was missing when they sent it to a distributor. They were considering that the blemish and that it was not covered by the warranty as such. I then contacted Kygunco again and they talked to their rep again. I then received a call from Taurus saying they would give me the missing barrel for free, but that I had to pay to ship my receiver there to get it fitted and to ship everything back. One more call to Kygunco later and Taurus is paying shipping as well. I am finally getting my barrel I should have received from the start, but it was like pulling teeth dealing with Taurus. I have nothing but praise for Kygunco after this experience though.

I have never praised Taurus, but I had also never really been a hater before. After the experience with them I understand why so many people hate this company. If it weren't for the great people at Kygunco I would have ended up only receiving half a gun and Taurus thought that was okay. I will likely never buy from Taurus again, and have been thinking about selling the couple guns I have from them. The experience with Smith & Wesson, on the other hand, made me want to buy more of their guns. Each person will have a different experience, but I just wanted to let everyone know the experiences that I had with these two companies.

Well, isn't that special. Missing one of the barrels is just a "blemish". Unfortunately consistent with what I've heard about Taurus customer service. I've never owned a Taurus, and somehow reports like this don't encourage me to ever do so......

I got a Blemished circuit judge through kygunco and everything went smoothly...the missing barrel being considered the blemish is absurd.

I thought all Taurus guns were blemished?

I see a few Taurus guns in my line of work. Had a weird experience with one the other night. After finding one (PT111 I think) hidden in a couch I cleared it and locked the slide back to show that it was clear and then set if on a table with the rest of the evidence that was being collected. About five minutes later the slide slams forward all on it's own without anyone touching it or being near it. Caused a little stir.

Somebody else picked it up and looked at it and said "Oh it's a Taurus.."

A bit of laughter followed after that.....

I've had only two customer experiences. The first was with Taurus with my then new TCP that had a couple of issues. I called them, explained the problem and they gave me instructions on how to return it at their expense. It took 7 weeks but it came back fixed and I have had no other issues. The other was with Phoenix Arms when I discovered a cracked slide after 3,500 rounds. I called them and they gave me an address to mail the cracked slide. I received a new slide in the mail in exactly one week. I thought it remarkable that I could send the slide from Virginia to California and get a new one in only one week with our mail service.

Back