A "Distraction Blow". What is this bull scat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dust Monkey

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,520379,00.html

A distraction blow? Now I admit, I have been out of LE since 1998. In all the training I have received as a peace officer, never have I even heard of this term. If you have to use physical force, fine as long as you can justify it. From this article it seems this officer can read the subjects thoughts to know he is about to do something.

Me, well my BS detector is lighting up. The kick to the head is excessive force, plain and simple. This distraction blow crap is a neat way to CYA.

Now. I do not want this to become a bash all cops thread. Let's discuss this incident, this officers actions, and this "new" training method of the distraction blow.

Last edited:
Yes, this definitely BS. If this officer is representative of the training he has received I can say it is very sad indeed. Obviously he only needed to place a knee in his back and cuff him. Crap like this is what makes it so hard on well trained police that do have a clue.

You don't kick someone in the head to distract them and if he was trained that way that department needs to look at their policies and procedures.

My oldest daughter is a LEO and I sent this story to her.
I can't repeat what she said here but the drift is that any LEO that even though trained to do so is a complete idiot to use such tactics.
It's just not right and sets you and you're department up for a civil suite.
I do hope this jerk and his department gets sued.
I can see in some very remote situations where this tactic has merit but dam few, and this was not one of them.

From the article. A distraction blow is employed to prevent the suspect from doing something they were planning on doing. That just does not make sense. It sounds like mind reading police practice. Physical force is justified when a threat is eminent. A visible threat. Not a movement, I did not see a movement in the video to justify a kick to the head. All the officer had to do was detain at gun point until backup arrived, then cuff him. With my background and training in kuba baton and pr24, a strike to the head is a big NO NO.

I pray that this is not a new police tactic inserted in the use of force levels. If this is being taught, it's a sad day for LE. I can see kickng a suspect in the head if you are in eminent fear of your life or serious injury. But the officer had his weapon drawn. If in fear of his life, why not employ deadly force.

IMO this is a department in full CYA mode and playing "let's invent a new use of force " buzz word. Throw it on the wall and hope it sticks. I would like to see this go to court. But with the police investigating the police, it is not likely to happen.

I hope the P.O.S. (poor old subject) has a good dental plan. :D:D

DustMonkey,
I am hereby citing you for "Cop Bashing", son ! :mad:

CopBashingCitation.gif

I am hereby citing you for "Cop Bashing"

As opposed to what the LEO in the video did ?

I hope the P.O.S. (poor old subject) has a good dental plan.

^ Excellent example of the "us vs. them" mentality^
And why a rift exists between LE and the public at large.

I've been trained in the past to deliver "distraction blows," the term used by the trainers, in a manner designed to facilitate the application of another physical technique.

As in:

1. Attempt technique unsuccessfully,
2. Deliver distraction blow.
3. Perform technique successfully.

I have seen individuals in the training environment utilize distraction blows outside of that parameter, subsequent to the application of pressure and the presence of adrenaline.

It is quite possible what we have here is a similar case. Distraction blows fall well short of one's "best shot," so the tale of the tape should substantiate, and likely did, the officer's claim. Has the footage been made available to the general public?

Now that said there's a difference between explainable and justifiable.

OK, let me get this straight: He kicked the suspect while he was lying on the ground unresisting under the rationale that he needed to distract him so he could 'cuff him? :rolleyes:

I do happen to be an expert on police use of force, including deadly force, having taught these topics full time for the last fourteen years. (I'm listed in several expert witness databases.) In fact, just finished evaluating a case for a law firm in MN.

Somebody Puhleeze give the suspect's attorney my name and phone number! I would love to trash the defense's experts, if they can find any willing to testify.

Hint: Can we say, "End-of-Chase Syndrome?" :eek:

Oh Gary, Puhleeze !:rolleyes:

Now, you are gonna get a citation for "aiding" a subject who had no concern for human life around him. Alot of money to be made "on the Dark Side".

CopBashingCitation.gif

Why not "Pro Bono" your services to the officer's department. Teach them about, "End of Chase Syndrome"; as you put it .:rolleyes:

distraction technique

try this; have someone hold arm out at shoulder height, palm down, now you try to push their arm down, they should be able to resist the movement.
now again have them hold arm out at shoulder height, palm down, but this time slap their other shoulder, as you begin the push of the extended arm.

in my limited martial arts training we were taught to always do a distraction technique before attempting a restraint manuever. nerve points were the recommended targets.

What kind of move can you physically make to apprehend a suspect, with your weapon drawn and no backup around? Holding a felon at gunpoint, no back up around you, what do you need to distract from? You only need to keep holding said felon until backup arrives and arrest him. End of chase syndrome, you bet. POPO. You bet.

Hirlau,

Please take those posters you cut and paste, your "cops do no wrong" attitude back over to coptalk. We like to have adult, real world discussions here. This is not bashing cops. This is one officer who IMO went a giant leap over the line and used excessive force. I wont even begin to discuss if this is actually being taught as this officer used it.

I can see using a strike or blow as a means to an end. Strike to diaphram to knock the breath out of someone so you can place them on the ground and cuff them. That does not apply here. Employing hand to hand combat with your side arm drawn is not a healthy thing, for you not the suspect.

Their are techniques for arresting a violent person by yourself, I have been trained on and taught others as well. Funny thing. None involved kicks to the head (or any kick to the body) with you gun out of it's holster.

Quote, " We like to have adult, real world discussions here."

Not when your OP is so drenched in "bias' my friend, humor is all this thread deserves.:(

OP quote; "Now. I do not want this to become a bash all cops thread"

You knew from the beginning where this was going.;)

Unhitch your blue wagons. The only officer and their actions Being discussed is the officer who was taped kicking a compliant suspect in the head. No one is bashing LE. See this is why I left coptalk. Infants over there can not take questions and critisims about wrong doing on the cops part. Your post above about the suspect hopefully having a dental plan is bashing. It's bashing citizens, even the criminals need their rights protected. You should have been taught that as a rookie.

Now back to the discussion. Any police trainers want to chime in here. Opine on this. ?

Last edited:
Not when your OP is so drenched in "bias' my friend, humor is all this thread deserves.
The only one I see with a huge bias is you my friend. You have the same attitude the LAPD has - a cop can do no wrong. I think you can now count your credibility as zero. I've seen the tape and this was a blatant case of felony assault under color of authority.

Per SOP LAPD will circle the wagons. Plan A was probably to say that the suspect attacked the officer's shoe with his face, but since the video ruled that out they went to Plan B - it was a distraction blow. The next step is that LAPD will issue a ruling that the blow was within policy. At that point they will hope the case just goes away. Most of the time the DA follows a gentleman's agreement not to prosecute officers so it probably will just go away. But if the DA is backed into a corner by publicity and forced to file charges he/she will simply neglect to offer any evidence at the trail and blame "brain damaged jurors" - the officer walks and returns to the job - SOP.

I personally feel that the officer should be terminated and should be allowed to plead guilty to misdemeanor battery charges and accept a few years of probation. However I'd settle for a 30 day unpaid suspension and loss of all rank - if and only if there were no previous incidents.

Now that said there's a difference between explainable and justifiable.

Exactly and when watching this video the action "Does Not APPEAR" to be justified.

It can also be a matter of time on the force.
Younger officers has less experience and perceive a threat when there may not be one or the threat can be neutralized in another fashion.

Quote; "See this is why I left coptalk. Infants over there can not take questions and critisims about went doing on the cops part. "

This confirms it all, maybe your not a cop basher; just a cop hater.

Why would any experienced officer want to have a discussion with you? They will never change your attitude or convince you of their actions.

In closing; everybody who watched that video ( citizens and LEO'S...me included) knows the officer was wrong, made a bad mistake. What never ceases to amaze me is people like you, who after seeing a mistake made by an officer; jump to the aid of the P.O.S. (poor old subject :D). Suddenly the actions of the P.O.S. are out-weighted by the single kick to the head.

You are not interested in the lack of training in todays law enforcement; the main reason for this incident. :(

In closing; everybody who watched that video ( citizens and LEO'S...me included) knows the officer was wrong, made a bad mistake. What never ceases to amaze me is people like you, who after seeing a mistake made by an officer; jump to the aid of the P.O.S. (poor old subject ). Suddenly the actions of the P.O.S. are out-weighted by the single kick to the head.

This is absolutely one of the most "biased" quotes I have ever seen. Since I have been here at TFL I have read posts by many of our LE members and, have come to respect most of them as they seem to be rational, and professional. I have even had debates over LE tactics with them and we all left the table with a bit more than we came with. It is a shame when an exception pops up and tarnishes the good will, and mutual respect, that is commonly found here.

Do you honestly think that anyone is so naive as to not know what your "POS" comment implies?

As far as the "subjects" actions being outweighed by a "single kick to the head" Pardon me if I expect a Law Enforcement Officer to act a bit more professional than a street thug.

I have never visited the Coptalk forum but, if it is as full of machismo (among other things) as your posts are, then perhaps you would be more comfortable amongst your peers.

LE Bashing is not tolerated here, at least I have not seen it in the years I have been a part of this community. But, pointing out a particular Bad incident ( you even admitted it yourself ) occurs, It is only bashing the moron who made the head kick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back