A couple of Blackhawks

Bob Wright

In Model12win's post I posted photos of these Ruger .45s:

During the palaver of that post, I was asked what did I do to them. Well, having been asked:

Both were plain ol' Ruger Blackhawks in .45 Colt one having the auxiliary .45 ACP cylinder. Sent it off to Doug Turnbull for case hardening, and had it made into a Super Blackhawk. Here, with its .45 ACP cylinder in place:

The other one I had it converted to Bisley configuration for a series of experiments:

The Bisley was a dismal failure for me, with heavy loads, and, in time I went to more docile .45 Colt ammunition, so decided to revert back to the Blackhawk grip frame and contacted Pat Grashorn for some elk stag grips.

Both guns are all steel and have the cam-cut ejector rod housing. The left-most gun also has a Gary Reeder rear sight.

And that's the story of these guns.

Bob Wright

Bob Wright,

Interesting your comment on the Bisley configuration.
I never cared for it myself but I remember writer/hunter/
large bore shooter Ross Seyfried commenting that he
chose the Bisley style SA for his heavy duty loads
in hunting.

I'll just assume he was wrong! :)

And you are correct! :cool:

Palaver? I hate when I have to look up a word to decide if I should be offended or not...:D. https://youtu.be/0c-UIkfsk1U Your all’s vocabulary is much deeper than this Southern hicks is...:) Nice collection by the way Bob, I always enjoy yours and Driftwoods pics.

Last edited:
Bob, great pics of great guns. How's that square back trigger guard work out with heavy loads? I've never shot one, but always liked the look of it, but suspect it would rap the 2nd knuckle pretty hard. The design was modeled after one of the Colt Dragoons wasn't it? Best Regards, Rod

Back