A clone clone SSA

davem

re there any SSA clones that are a real clone without the hammer block safety. A replica exactly like an original? :cool:

I'm assuming you are referring to a SAA - single action army? 1873?

If so, Uberti and Pietta both make SAA "clones" that don't have the hammer blocks and are built as the originals are. Google Uberti and look at their catalog - the 1873 Cattleman - available in both BP frame and later frame - difference is how the cylinder pin is held in. On the BP frame, it is held in with a screw. On a later frame - it's held in with a spring loaded cross pin like most are used to.

I have a Uberti "Bisley" - basically the 1873 construction but with a Bisley grip frame. They are fine shooting revolvers - well built. I have the Bisley in 357 - will soon be getting a Cattleman in 45 Colt.

Pietta also makes some good clones - good quality and good shooters.

I don't know if Uberti is still using the hammer block safety.
Many if not all current Ubertis and Piettas are using the extended base pin. That is just enough "safety device" to get enough import points from the BATF. It is almost impossible to use. BUT it can be shortened or replaced for authentic configuration, all other parts are standard like Colt.

The Uberti Horseman only has a transfer bar like a Ruger. It is probably the same setup as the Beretta Stampede.
The Great Western II made by Pietta has a transfer bar in .44 Magnum only, their other calibers are Colt clones... except for the base pin.

The 2 Cattlemen I have have this safety, You have to pull the hammer back to see it otherwise it is not noticeable.
They have the 4 Colt clicks and otherwise look identical to my original Colt except for the longer cylinder pin (arbor).
You may be able to get a hammer not cut for the block or knock the pin out that holds the block.

Models with safety mechanism in the hammer.
These guns have a hammer block safety in the hammer. If you see a small slot at the rear of the hammer,
then your hammer has a safety already inserted. To activate the hammer safety block, pull the hammer rear-
ward until you hear the 1st click. Lower the hammer into the safety position. With the hammer in this posi-
tion, the hammer block safety mechanism is activated. This patented device places a steel insert between
the hammer and the frame and is designed to prevent the gun from firing accidentally. When the gun is not
being used, always use your hammer block safety. (See drawing ‘A’).

Uberti's old model cattleman is fairly close. Only cimarron imports it with the "non-safety" hammer. You can retrofit a Taylor's or generic stoeger import uberti with the uberti "hammer-no safety" alternatively. Cutting the swiss safety base pin gets you closer yet. That's about as close to the look of a pre 1894 Colt model P as you can get these days. I went with the "BP frame" after my quick research revealed that base pin cross latch model P's -aka " smokeless frames" were barely in the "old west".

Yes _ Uberti does make a SAA with a hammer block safety - it's called the "1973 Horseman".

Google Uberti - download their catalog - easy enough to do.

I've heard that this model is being sold by such places as Sprotsman's Warehouse, etc. Personally, I'd never buy one - I much prefer the "old style". Yes - they have a "safety" with a two position cylinder pin to satisfy the lawyers. I have one on my Uberti Bisley - I hate it. Easy enough tot fix though by shortening the cylinder pin so it doesn't block the hammer when inserted all the way. Put as many "safties" on that you want - there is still no substitute for common sense and safe handling.

I bought one of the Cimarron 7th cavalry model Ps. Its pretty darn close, no hammer safety. Or you could get REALLY close and get a USFA SSA....I'f your one of them fellas with a heavy pocket :D

Pietta does both a transfer bar and a nontransfer bar model. I don't know about the cylinder pin safety described above, but the transfer bar safety is modeled after the Ruger, which model also comes with the Ruger style plunger and spring handspring set up that is far more reliable that the original Colt. Its "Evil Roy" slicked up model does not have a transfer bar, but I suspect it has the plunger hand spring, since it is set up for SASS. Both have the crossbolt pin release mechanism.

P.S. I have a Pietta transfer bar model "in jail" right now in .38/.357. No it's not authentic, but I'd rather load 6. I'll probably buy one without the bar in .45LC somewhere down the road, just because. Colts is purty, but pruty expensive too.

Last edited:
re there any SSA clones that are a real clone without the hammer block safety. A replica exactly like an original?

No. Because there have been various modifications to the Single Action Army over time. Firing pins, shape of the cylinder ratchet teeth, shape of the hand, method of locking the cylinder pin in the frame, shape and style of the sights, style of barrel threads to name a few. These changes in the design occurred over time after the SAA was first produced in 1873.

However, most of the modern replicas by Uberti and Pietta are fairly close to what most of the 1st Gen Colts looked like, particularly with the tiny 'V' groove rear sight that the 1st Gens had. I would say the 'Model P Old Model' imported by Cimarron is probably going to be the closest to the configuration of the early Colts, circa 1873-1896. Bullseye ejector rod handle and a screw to retain the cylinder pin. Can't say about what type of safety device they are using, whether it is the old D Cam or the more recent cylinder pin with two notches.

By the way, it is a Federal regulation that imported revolvers have to have some sort of safety device in them to prevent the revolver firing if dropped on the hammer with a live round under the hammer. That is why all the imports will have some sort of device in them. Domestic manufacturers like Colt are not subjected to that requirement.

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/cartridge-revolvers/model-p-1873-1896.html

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/cartridge-revolvers/old-model-pre-war-frame-comparison.html

The D cam was a relatively short-lived bandaid that allowed Uberti to use up a sizable batch of frames that had a hole positioned out of specs.

It was never a safety device, just an oops where Uberti didn't want to dump a large number of "bad" frames.
Once used up, gone.
Denis

Back