a cleaner and what else?

Generally all you'll need to care for most issues with most gun is a cleaner and a lube...

As for as for what exactly you may want, people will want to know what kind of gun(s) we are dealing with, how much you'll use it, how it is stored, condition (age) of the gun(s) etc.

It is shocking that it's been a day and a half since you asked about gun cleaning and 12,446 people haven't responded with their technique. Typically, asking a gun forum about gun cleaning and solvents and lubricants is like asking a room full of guys what they like in a pickup truck or asking women what they think about shoes.

You seem new to firearms so I will offer MY best advice and keep it short.

Get a bottle of Hoppes#9 and also get a bottle of lube. I use FP-10, I think WeaponShield is just as good or better. Three products that will never, ever, EVER touch my guns are WD-40, RemOil and FrogLube.

Use the Hoppe's#9 to clean, and it leaves a nice layer behind that is not the ultimate "protectant" but it is meant to be safely left behind and is good to be left behind. Use the lubricant for slide rails, frame rails and pivot points. Use it sparingly on internals and pivot points, use it judiciously on slide/frame rails.

My best advice on gun cleaning?!
Less is more. I bet most of us grew up cleaning the favorite gun every single time we brought it home, but the fact is that far more guns are dinged, worn and accidentally crunched or broken due to excessive and/or over-zealous cleaning. A little Hoppes#9 on a cotton rag to wipe down powder residue and filth is pretty much my routine now and I don't scrub bores or chambers until they have many hundreds of rounds through them.

I was told that the Hoppes #9 solvent is bad for chrome lines barrels. I was told to use shooters choice on chrome lined barrels. Other than that Hoppes #9 and rem oil. Also if it's an older gun, such as an SKS or Mosin, that hasn't been cleaned in awhile I like to spray it down with the Safari land Break free clp stuff. I find it helps to get some of the nasty stuff off easier. I start with running a dry bore brush through a couple times, then add a tiny amount of Hoppes #9, run the brush through again, then using a metal jag push the cleaning patches through until the patch comes out clean. Then for the rest of the gun a little Hoppes on a wire brush, wipe it all off, then add a little rem oil.

Also get q-tips. They're amazing for getting into small areas you can get with other things. I keep a box around at all times. I burn through q-tips when cleaning guns.

Back