A Civil Servant Job Many Might Like to Have

I was watching the Comedy Network and caught a program in the middle. The host, this bald-headed guy, was riding along in the back of a truck on night time varmit patrol that was spotlighting and shooting nutria along the canals somewhere in Louisiana. There was the driver, then there was a spotlighter with a Q-Beam, then the shooter who sat in what looked to be a
fold-up picnic-type lounge chair with a padded head rest. The shooter used a bolt action .22 lr with a suppressor and scope. Nutrias would be spotted and the truck slowed (but not always stopped) and the shooter would plink away. At somepoint, the host asked if he could help and they gave him what looked to be a Marlin 10/22 with a scope and he managed to score a hit via
rapid fire although they only showed him shooting and not where his shots were going.

What made this bizarre was simply that they were driving around in this truck, a city vehicle with a "How's my driving..." sticker on the back. What made this really interesting is that the shooter is actually one of the snipers for the local swat team. He just gets double duty with the Animal Control folks while getting some quality practice time in.

Of course the job being done was one that apparently was needed, but I don't think they would let any of us volunteer for the duty. I am sure many people would jump at the chance to drive around and shoot vermin from the back of a pickup. As far as I understand it, since we aren't law enforcement or animal control, we can't drive around spotlighting game in the city limits shooting guns with noise suppressors from a vehicle located on a roadway. That being said, I have a feeling that bubbas all over the country were just given a new idea for what appears to be a very fun evening out on the town as well as doing a service for the community.

Whew Doggie!

I caught a part of that as well. I've seen other reports on nutria hunting in that same spot. I was suprised that the host wasn't anti-shooting and had the guts to actually pick up a gun and shoot it!

The show is called 'insomniac' with dave attell (sp?). Not sure when it will be on again.

Actually I had that job for awhile.. :D

Yours and my tax dollars at work - USDA-APHIS-AWC has a wildlife control section. We shot deer off runways and other Federal properties.

Lots of fun and neat toys to play with, but not much money.. Ten bucks an hour was the part-timer's rate as of several years ago..

Giz

I'd kill pigeons for free if they let me. The bodies can be dumped into a local lake which is inhabitated by turtles. They love it! BTW, the homeless seem to like pigeons too.

Well, I got a stock pond full of turtles. Come on down!

Ever try blowguns on pigeons? It's fun at night, working the freeway bridge structures. A sliding door van is the perfect safari vehicle.

:D, Art

Back