A 'call to arms'- Town Meeting on 'gun violence' tonight in Arlington, TX

Jedi Oomodo

For any of you TFLers who live in the DFW metroplex...

I'm sure you saw Ch. 8 ABC's el Lame-o special report on GUNS *gasp* Tuesday night- you can read my wife's analysis of it over in General in the topic "Why don't I learn? A rant..". At the end of their oh-so-insightful expose, they announced there would be a Town Meeting on guns, laws, violence, snarting, etc. Thursday night-tonight- at an elementary school (trying to play on Columbine, no doubt) in Arlington, TX. I plan on trying to be there, and a fellow TFLer I've contacted indicated that the Texas State Rifle Association would be there as well. Here's the address, for anyone else who is also innerested.

1200 N. Cooper Arlington, TX- it is 3 blocks South of I-30, near Fielder and Randoll Mill Rd. Hope to see y'all there!

If it is OK with Rich, DC, Mykl, Dennis, et al... this is also posted over in General to get maximum exposure.

------------------
Lady Justice has been raped, truth assassin;
Rolls of red tape seal your lips, now you're done in;
Their money tips her scales again, make your deal;
Just what is truth? I cannot tell, cannot feel.

The ultimate in vanity
Exploiting their supremacy
I can't believe the things you say
I can't believe, I can't believe the price we pay- nothing can save us
Justice is lost, Justice is raped, Justice is gone
Pulling your strings,Justice is done...
Seeking no truth, winning is all,
Find it so grim, so true, so real....

If it isna Scottish, it's CRAP! RKBA!

Here's a perfect chance to wear those Yellow Stars of David with "Gun Owner" on them.

------------------
If you can't fight City Hall, at least defecate on the steps.

Jedi,

I forwarded your post to Robert D. He is the one who had a son wounded recently in Fort Worth at the church and who is a class three entusiast as well as a member of the NRA. He lives in Arlington. I DO so hope that he can make it there with his son. I wish I would have checked this board earlier this morning.

Thanks for the tip, but what time is this thing happening???!!!

Joe

[This message has been edited by nralife (edited November 11, 1999).]

I present myself to you for beatings with wet noodles! I forgot to put the time in, and I didn't check this thread until after I got home from the meeting! :o It was at 19:00. Sorry, nralife, I hope you were able to find the time by other means.

Ch 8 will be broadcasting it sometime in the future. Go to their website to get more specific info. Surprisingly enough, this meeting wasn't about 'how can we take away the guns to stop crime'. There were about 50 people in the audience, and at the beginning, John McCaa asked 'How many of you think we need more gun laws'? Two people raised their hands. Then he asked 'How many think we just need tougher enforcment of what we already have'? Everyone else raised their hand. I even got to go on camera and make a statement :)! Mr. McCaa himself said that his dad was in the military, which means John got to visit many different foreign countries. He said that he had been in several where the only people who had access to firearms were the government, and that the govt 'roughed people up'. While John said he doesn't like to air his opinions (and he did not, BTW) it sounds to me that he at least has an open mind. I left there having a little bit more hope for the future of RKBA than when I entered.

------------------

The ultimate in vanity

[This message has been edited by Jedi Oomodo (edited November 12, 1999).]

Jedi,

Robert D. didn't get home in time to go the meeting. Jim Nicholson, past president of he Texas State Rifle Association and current board member of the NRA did get to go to the meeting and here is what he had to say to me and Robert about it in an email...

Thanks, Robert. You predicted right about Channel 8 getting in trouble.
The problem is that Robert Riggs is anti-gun, but John Mcaa is pretty
pro gun. Riggs is the problem.

There were only three dissenting voices in the whole crowd and one of
them was on the panel. Tom Crowley, ATF, was also on the panel and he
was always weasling out of tough situations like the guy they claimed
had sold 5,000 illegal guns before they could nail him.

All told, the Second Amendment crowd held the night. I am looking
forward to the news tonight to see how they handle it. They put me in a
special seat and then wouldn't bring the mike to me. It didn't matter.
Anywhere they took the mike there was a pro gunner there to carry the
flag.
--
. . . the notion that crime can be defeated by depriving its victims of
all the means of self defense is a form of idiocy, which George Orwell
described well when he made the remark, "Only an intellectual could
believe something as stupid as that." Criminologist Don Kates 9/21/1999

--------------------------------------------

Jedi, Thanks for the great job that you did!!! We need to get the channel eight contact info up on this baord so that a few hundred TFLers can let them know what we think about there antigun BS! I'll try to post it later.

Joe

Joe's Second Amendment Message Board

The contact info that I have for Channel 8 so far is...

WFAA Ch. 8
606 Young St.
Dallas, TX 75202

(214) 748-9631

Here is there web addy...
http://www.wfaa.com/

They have a big banner ad up about the atrocity they broadcast about guns. There should be an email contact on that site somewhere, but it's late and I can't find it.

Call and ask for public relations, the station manager, and then the head of the news department. First, go over to the general board and read what Jedi's wife has written about the show so that you will know what you are talking about when you call. I don't care if you live in the Dallas/Ft Worth area, give them a call anyway. They won't know the difference unless they have caller ID. ;-) I will post an email addy if and when I can find one.

Thanks,
Joe

[This message has been edited by nralife (edited November 12, 1999).]

On that note:

Darth, Jeff OTMG, and I may have something in the works against ch. 8 because of their unabashed slant against guns in the series of special reports they've been doing this week. I don't have many more details than that ATT, though.

I remember they mentioned Jim's presence at the meeting last night, and he did get to speak for a few minutes at one point, but IIRC, it was toward the end of the program. It may not have been deliberate, though. There were so many people who wanted to speak that it may be that it just took them that long to get to him. The ATF agent did beat around the bush quite a bit when that Vietnam vet put the fire under his ****s about why that guy in Seagoville was able to sell 5K guns before they caught him :D :D!

------------------

The ultimate in vanity

Jedi, thank for posting this. I'm in Houston but if I were just a bit closer Iwould have been there. Glad it went well.

Let's hope that at least a few of those 48 hands that rose will vote for the proper candidates next year!

CMOS

------------------
Join GOA, NRA, LEAA and vote.

Jedi,

In the mean time, I still think everyone should call these people and let them have it! Politely of course. ;-)

Joe

Hit this page, answer their poll "Do you believe that it is too easy to buy a gun?"
(90% say no); then scroll down to "Past Reports" and check out the quality of their other "investigations" -- http://www.wfaa.com/now2/

THEN tell 'em how you feel at --
news8@wfaa.com

------------------
If you can't fight City Hall, at least defecate on the steps.

Too easy to buy a gun?

I'm assuming they mean "legally."

To buy a gun in my gun-friendly city:
1) Have the money to do so.
2) Show the dealer your gov't-issued ID.
3) Fill out two forms, one of which details the gun you're buying *and* where you live.
4) Have the dealer call the CBI and wait on hold a minimum of 10 minutes, more likely 30.
5) If the CBI employee immediately disconnects the dealer, repeat step 4 (this happens A LOT).
6) Wait while dealer describes you and your documents to the CBI employee.
7) Wait while employee checks his computer, which is apparently an IBM AT.
8) If you get approved at the state level, wait while employee checks the FBI computer, which is apparently an IBM XT.
9) If you get approved at the federal level, congratulations, you're now registered as the owner of a (make)(model)(cal/ga)(action type), (serial).

Yeah. Easy. So simple a kid with a fake ID could do it (and did in Denver last week).

------------------
"The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property,
or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question.."
Article 11, Section 13, CO state constitution.
----------
Coinneach, CO CAN Operator

Oatka, I sat through a couple of their "reports" on RealPlayer. Jeez, that kind of fuzzy thinking isn't representative of the Texans I remember. I thought I had a mainline to the worst here every day at 5:30. Not anymore.

Freeman,

They're not the worst, though IMHO. Ch 5 and 11 don't have even one brain cell to rub together between them.

Darth and I just talked to Jeff OTMG tonight. We're working on reporting this slanted 'journalism' to the FCC- presenting anything as 'news' that is misleading, untruthful, or doesn't fairly present both sides of a story is against FCC regulations, and could get ch 8's license revoked unless they allow us to air a rebuttal, at their cost! More to follow as we have it...

------------------

The ultimate in vanity

The shinola is really getting deep now. Check out what WFAA Channel 8 in Dallas is saying now...

"DALLAS Nov 12 -- Police weapons once carried by officers are now ending up in the hands of criminals.

News 8 Investigates has found hundreds of thousands of used police guns that have been put back into circulation.

Federal law enforcement sources say at least 1,000 former police guns were linked to crimes last year. (This Has to be BS!!!)

This summer, a neo-Nazi shot at children in a California Jewish community center and later killed a mail carrier with a gun sold by a Washington State police department."

You can see the rest of this part of the story at...
http://www.wfaa.com/wfaa/articledisplay/1,1014,3823,00.html

If you haven't called or emailed Channel 8 yet, PLEASE do so ASAP. You don't have to live in the DFW area of Texas. All you have to do is to tell them you saw their expose on guns using Real Audio from their website.

Thanks,
Joe

Greetings all. It appears that Robert Riggs is the driving force behind the anti-gun slant to the "reporting" on guns at WFAA. I've sent emails and forwarded copies to an informal group such that they can do the same. It is my opinion that both "sides" should be heard in any "hot topic", not just the reporter's views. John McCae seems OK.
Mr. Riggs may have a First Amendment Right, but I find it hypocritial that he uses it to gut the Second and don't think that this should go unchallenged. Best to all.

It seems that besides the Texas State Rifle Association delegation at the town hall meeting, there was a large contingent of Free Republic activist known as FReepers on our side. To check out another large thread about the town hall meeting go here...
http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a382b91f94f5e.htm

It looks like these FReepers are very active in backing conservative agendas around the country. Anybody know any more about them? I hear there is a north Texas chapter of the Free Republic, they might well be good people to keep in contact with when it comes to this upcoming channel 8 business.

Joe

Back