A-Bolt Composite Stalker (Boss)

Nimitz

Inactive
Hello everyone. I am thinking about getting a Browning A-Bolt Composite Stalker 30-06 as my first deer gun. Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations? What about the Boss system? Does anyone know where I could find one? Thanks ... Happy Holidays.

Paul

The Browning A-Bolt's have been proven time and time again as being one of the most accurate rifles on the market today. Read somewhere that the BOSS is one of the top 10 innovations in firearms this century.

Robert

[This message has been edited by Robert the41MagFan (edited December 27, 1999).]

I think you'll find that you'll really like the A-Bolt / B.O.S.S. setup. Up until about a year and a half ago I was using a fairly well modified Remington 788 .222 for prairie dogs. "She who must be obeyed" bought me an A-Bolt / B.O.S.S. `Varminter' .223 as an `anniversary' present. The Remington hasn't left it's case more than maybe a half dozen times since. {GRIN!} (And those few times were when I was at an especially `hot' prairie dog site and was waiting for the A-Bolt to cool down and I maybe put about one tenth the number rounds through it as I would have the A-Bolt because the A-Bolt was so much nicer to shoot and more accurate. [And I used to `love' and `swear by' that Remington!])

------------------
Doleo ergo sum,
-HALFPINT-

Admiral Nimitz (bet you never heard that before),

I purchased a Browning A-Bolt II Composite Stalker in .338 Win. Magnum this September for an elk hunt. I am very pleased with it.

I did not have the time to accurize it fully using the BOSS. However, I set the BOSS to the factory recommended setting for my ammunition and was shooting 3" groups at 200 yards off a less than perfect rest (some old blankets).

The recoil felt slightly heavier than a 30-06. I fired 22 rounds. My shoulder was a little sore for one day and had a small yellow bruise.

From a recoil standpoint I don't think you would need the muzzlebreak in 30-06 but the potential to accurize your rifle for factory ammunition still makes it attractive. Remember that the muzzlebreak makes the rifle a lot louder to the user and those around him. (In the case of my .338 a LOT louder.)

The action and safety were within easy reach and smooth to operate. The only thing I didn't care for was that the safety must be "off safe" to operate the action. That creates a minor safety issue when loading and unloading.

It has a floor plate which swings down and forward to which a box magazine attaches. With a little practice attaching and removing the magazine is a cinch.

If I were in the market for another bolt action it would be an A-Bolt II.

Back