A Bear of a Question

Young_Buck

Howdy folks as I have posted in Rifle Forum I am a new gun owner and I might have my shoioting coach convinced to take me hunting for black bear on Vancouver Island B.C. Now my question is with my Model 94 being my only gun where should I place the shot (both for ideal conditions and shot placement and for the not so ideal). I am shooting with remmington core lokt 170 grain rounds. I also don't know just how big i can expect the bears around here to be :confused: my research has shown me that males range from 130-660 pounds and that females range from 90-175 pounds. As you can tell I am new to hunting so new that if my coach does buy that bear tag it will be my first hunt so any advise is welcome. Thanks Folks

Last edited:
That must be a miniature version .In PA the biggest are over 800 lbs!! The 30-30 would do for the smaller ones .Shots should be to the heart/lung area or try to break the shoulder.Find drawings of the internals and be able to hit those areas from any direction.

My advice is look into the best 30-30 ammo on the market... If I were going to bear hunt with that gun I would also limit myself to less than 100 yards...just my thoughts on it.... as previous post said it's important to study the vital areas on photo's and diagrams before you go hunting.... BEST LUCK on your hunting trip :D It has been said thousands of times but I will again.... the 30-30 has likely taken more game animals in North America than any other rifle....maybe more than 2-3 cartridges combined........ Just know that the 30-30 has limits and you will do fine... :D

In the future you might want to save up and get a little more horsepower or so to say.... I love my 270 and it takes care of just about anything in the wilds of North America. (I wouldn't tempt fait with a Griz though)

Thru the front shoulders or under the chin if facing you,don't stop shooting until they are dead!!I wouldn't be afraid to shoot any black with a 30-30.

Next Question

Now that i know where to shoot the next question is what to shoot i have an option for my 30/30 i can shoot either 150 or 170 grain remmington core loct bullets which one should i use??????

itll do

the .30-30 would be a good round for bear as long as you respect the limitations of the round. you should use the best custom or premium ammo you can find.

Use a Strong Bullet

Although I haven't checked out the latest ones, the CoreLokt bullets of 1-2 years ago were fairly quick expanding and not designed for bear-type game. With a .30-30, I would keep shot to 100 yards or less, and try to find a stronger bullet - Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, Barnes Triple Shock, and Swift Premium Safaru Grade would be better IF they make these for the .30-30. For bears you want a strong bullet that penetrates muscle and bone, and retains its weight. Goodluck and good hunting!

Michael :)

I Wouldn't Chase Bear with Those.....

Young Buck,

I just glanced at the website you provided - in my opinion, those bullets are fine for small game, deer, and MAYBE elk, but i wouldn't want to use them on bear - I'd want a stronger bullet.

If Federal makes factory loads for the 30-30 with Barnes X bullets (would probably be called the federal premium line), that will be a better choice for penetration on bears. If they don't, the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, Swift A Frame, or Nosler Partition would also be stronger than the CoreLokt bullets in your link.

I'd do a web search on the names I provided, which will trun up the websites of the ammo producers who make them. Should be able to see if that bullet is provided for the 30-30 in factory ammo, and possibly even where the nearest store to you is located.

Michael

Thanks again MD i took a look and all i ahve been able to find is federal premium noselar partition for 30 30 and they are saying that it is for medium sized game as the the rest i couldn't find it in 30 30. i just got home from the range and i ahve my rifle sighted for 50 and 100 right now and i certainly don't plan on taking a shot if the critter is farther away then that

heres the only other type that i have been able to dig up so far http://www.winchester.com/products/...x?symbol=X30304&cart=MzAtMzAgV2luY2hlc3Rlcg==

Last edited:
For what it's worth my brother in law was with a guy that shot a REALLY big fat bear with a 30-30, he hit it 5 times, and the bear wasn't going down.
My b.i.l. shot it with an .06, and put it down.
When they skinned it, they found the 30-30's had not gone through the fat.
I don't know what grain bullet or how old the 30-30 ammo was.

Noslers OK IF You Can't Find Others.....

They're a stronger constructed bullet than the CoreLokt brands on the website you sent, and are used by some hunters for moose, elk, and black bear.

Keep looking for the Barnes X or the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw in Federal's Premium brand of ammo, they may not make these for the 30-30 though. If you can't find them,and have to stay with the partitions, use the 170 grain bullets instead of the 150s.

Michael

Back