A "bad" day at the range.

Prof Young

Shooters:
So, I took my cc gun and all my "little" guns to the range today and this is what happened:

1. I put a "new" barrel in my Bauer 25 acp as the barrel that came with it had a bunged-up crown. (See semi auto post called New Range Toy) The Bauer turned into a jam-o-matic. First time out, with the bunged-up-crown barrel I ran 90 rounds with only two FTF jams. This time out I could not get through three shots without a jam. Of course, I didn't bring along the first barrel so I couldn't swap them out to see if it was the "new" barrel. Will compare the two closely and probably polish the ramp on the "new" barrel.

2. Was shooting my sparkling clean NAA Black Widow. First dozen shots of 22lr ran fine. Switched cylinders to 22 mag and loaded up some Hornady V-Max. Two of the five shots went BLAM instead of bang. They were noticeably more powerful. A lot more powerful. So I put the V-Max aside thinking I needed to check to see if Hornaday had a recall on. Reload the NAA with the 22 LR cylinder, cock the hammer, pull the trigger and . . . nothing. Clearly the hot loads have damaged the gun. I can only get the hammer forward by pulling the tigger and pushing the hammer forward. It too goes back into the range bag.

3. The Beretta MP22 runs well and I have a good time. The Sig p238 is a great shoot and in SA mode I'm more accurate than with any other hand gun I own. The Sig P365, with safety, runs well too and I'm getting better with it. Whole day is not a disaster. Whew.

4. Reload the Sig P365 with self defense ammo, return it to its holster, return it to the inside vest CC pocket. Sweep up my brass, lean over to use the "dust pan" and the Sig 365 comes tumbling out of my inside vest cc pocket to the floor. So glad it happened at the range rather than elsewhere. Your's truly had not buttoned up the inside pocket. Geez ma kneez.

Well, I suppose any day at the range is better than a day at a job you don't like. (I really liked my job so . . .)

Will post more about the NAA and Bauer in appropriate forums.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Well the "bungled up" crown would have to do with accuracy than any other function of the gun unless the recoil spring is located over the barrel, then it would have to be a real "bungled up" crown.

It's always a good idea to bring a trustworthy firearm to range day just in case the experiments head South.

Back