A amazing freak accident

skeeter

I post this in the hope others will share their close calls and maybe save a life.
I visited a local small gun dealer and noticed his rather mutilated hand. I asked what happened as his hand did not look like this when I was in the store 7 months or so ago. He said a man wanted to sell his used 1911 and my dealer checked it was empty, no magazine and was looking down the bore with a bore lite. He had the gun upside down with magazine well facing up when his wife rushed in, opened his desk draw and quickly pulled out the check book. What they did not notice at the time was one of the assorted loose rounds that he keep in his draw found its way in the check book. It happened to be a .45 round as was the caliber of the 1911. As his wife grabbed the check book out of the draw the .45 round that was in the check book came out and landed in the magazine well. Not seeing this at the time the dealer who now had the bore lite out let the slide slam forward. The 1911 was defective and the sear did not catch the hammer. The pistol slam fired when the slide closed and at the time the dealer had his left hand in front of the muzzle. It blew his knukle(?) off and the bullet ended up in embeded in the desk draw. This is a true story. Another gentleman in the store who heard the story could not believe this. The dealer took a .45 and threw the bullet from a foot away towards the mag well of another gun. ON the 6th try the bullet went into the well of the upside down 1911 ( and slightly to the side) and stayed there. What added to this freak accident is the fact that the seller of the gun did not mention) or know) the gun was defective. I guess the moral of this story is do not keep loaded checkbook around. How about sharing your close calls and maybe show you can never be too careful with firearms

skeeter, the gun dealer's story makes me wonder if he didn't fabricate the check book theory to cover up a lapse in attention to details. Did he say that the shell was of the type that he had in his desk drawer and not of the type that the owner had given him? I also wonder why he would have loose live rounds in the very desk where he does pistol smithing. That alone is a good formula for a tragedy. One other thing, unless gravity failed for a short while, the bullet should have fallen out either the top or the mag well. And even if it didn't it would have had to be aligned perfectly to enter the chamber since it probably wasn't captured by the extractor. It all sounds fishy to me.

I have a major sore spot with the liberals' paternalsitic "you people are too stupid to own guns" routine, and I know they violated the safety rules, but sometimes . . .

Recent gun-related Darwin nominees.

NOMINEE No 1: [San Jose Mercury News]

An unidentified man, using a shotgun like a club to break a former girlfriend's windshield, accidentally shot himself to death when the gun discharged, blowing a hole in his gut.

NOMINEE No 3: [Hickory Daily Record]

Ken Charles Barger, 47, accidentally shot himself to death in December in Newton, NC. Awakening to the sound of a ringing telephone beside his bed, he reached for the phone but grabbed instead a Smith & Wesson 38 Special, which discharged when he drew it to his ear.

NOMINEE No 7: ["The Indianapolis Star"].

A cigarette lighter may have triggered fatal explosion - Dunkirk, Indiana. A Jay County man using a cigarette lighter to check the barrel of a muzzle loader was killed Monday night when the weapon discharged in his face, sheriff's investigators said. Gregory David Prior, 19, died in his parents' rural Dunkirk home about 11:30 PM. Investigators said Prior was cleaning a 54 caliber muzzle loader that had not been firing properly. He was using the lighter to look into the barrel when the gunpowder ignited.

How do we know that #2 is true?

Did he survive long enough to tell someone?
If so was he covering a suicide attempt?

Was someone there?

I heard the same story about an asthma
inhaller. Skeptical me.

Reminds me of a parody to "Big John"

"Finally, Irving got three slugs in the belly;
Happened outside the Frontier Deli;
He was on the street slinging his gun around
And butterfingers Irving gunned himself down

Irving, big fat Irving,
Big fat dead Irving,
Big fat dum-dum dead Irving,

The 142nd fastest gun in the west."

From Dr. Demento...

------------------
"Corruptisima republica plurimae leges."
(The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws.)
- Tacitus

I think the moral of the story is remember your basic safety rules, two come immediately to mind- the one about all guns are loaded, and the one about not letting your muzzle cover anything you're not willing to destroy (your own hand?!Jeez!)

During the first weekend of firearms deer season here in Illinois a hunter dropped his shotgun from his tree stand and was struck in the head when it discharged. State Police investigators surmize that he was leaning out of the tree stand watching it fall. This is the report that was on the radio. Happened about 30 miles from where I live. Haven't talked to anyone involved in the investigation, but that is the story that was released to the press.

Jeff

I'll have to revise my post somewhat in favor of the gun dealer. I just tried an experiment where I tossed a round in the well of a 1911 with the slide back and nothing over the port. If the barrel is tilted downward at roughly 45 deg., the bullet slid into the chamber 6 times out of 10! So I guess the odds are slightly more in his favor, but they're still slim odds, not 60%, because a lot of things have to be just right for this to happen. I still think he is covering up some carelessness.

Bob,
Didn't want to use his name as he is embarassed enough. I saw him about 4 months ago and believe his story as do the police. But there will always be douhters. Guess we have some local boys here on the net..

Hi, guys,

This fortunately does not involve an accident, but is still a rather amazing occurrence. A friend was shooting his .44 Auto Mag when a round jammed going into the chamber. He couldn't see any thing wrong and the chamber looked normal. But on checking, it turned out that the fired case was in the chamber backward!

The only thing we could figure was that the case ejected normally, but was still in the air when the recoiling pistol caught up with it and the case somehow inserted itself into the chamber while the slide was still back.

I would have said it couldn't happen if I hadn't been there.

Jim

Back