A 45-70 Guide gun out to 1000 yds.

Push a .45 caliber rifle bullet (say 400gr) at 1900fps at the muzzle and sight it dead on for 100yds.

Drop of that bullet at 500 yards will be in the neighborhood of 17 FEET.
(and the velocity will be somewhere around 900fps)

What do you think it is at 1,000yds? My tables don't go that far....

Push a .45 caliber rifle bullet (say 400gr) at 1900fps at the muzzle and sight it dead on for 100yds.

Drop of that bullet at 500 yards will be in the neighborhood of 17 FEET.
(and the velocity will be somewhere around 900fps)

The target stand is maybe 20' or 30' below the ridgeline. I wonder if they set it up so you could just aim at the ridgeline? He mentions he's using a 325 grain FTX style bullet at about 2,100 FPS which seems like it'd have much more drop than 30' at 1,000 yards. If aiming above the ridge and into the sky how would you even make that work?

Hard holding for sure.
Good performance for light bullets in a short barrel.

Don't get all hepped up over "drop." They all drop, some more than others.
If you want to get out of the stunt category, you will have sights with enough adjustment for the job.

Great shooting! It left some pretty good divots in that plate.

44 AMP said:
128+ feet with a 325 gr bullet at 2100 fps at 1080 yds. Just a rough estimate from info given.

When that "drop" is spread out over a thousand yards, it is not a whole lot in scale.

Dan Theodore set up two paper targets spaced apart on the same point at 1000 yards. He measured the "drop" over six feet and calculated that the bullets were coming in at an angle of 4.5 degrees. Hardly a "rainbow." As I recall, the rifle was a .45 x 2 7/8" and a 540 grain "Money" bullet.

long range

Read an article recently where known author/shooter was trying to replicate a long shot with big bore cartridge rifle like the Adobe Walls fight. Erected a target composed of two 4x8" sheets of plywood in an "+" pattern if I recall correctly. Two experienced shootered blazed away at distance approaching a mile. VERY low percentage of hits, conclusion:

one luck shot or one unlucky Indian

The thing is, that drop, for a given bullet, speed, and range is going to be a constant. Unlike the wind, which can vary multiple times in direction and speed when shooting over a long distance.

back in the late 1800s, long range target shooters were hitting at 1,000yds with .45-70s. Specially set up sights and some other things, but its not impossible.

Now, here's a question, how many ranging/practice shots do you think they did, that aren't on the video???

back in the late 1800s, long range target shooters were hitting at 1,000yds with .45-70s. Specially set up sights and some other things, but its not impossible.

Moderately unrelated to the initial post, but I feel like in that time frame the weakest link in the system was determining the correct range. The long range shooters had good equipment, plenty of data on their rifles, but unless they were using a giant piece of equipment taken off a Naval vessel the rangefinders were rudimentary: looking through a hole in a piece of metal at a set distance from your face (determined by holding a string in your teeth) and seeing which hole fit a man-sized target to give a rough estimation of the range. When you are dealing with those trajectories very small errors in range estimation lead to some pretty wide misses.

one luck shot or one unlucky Indian

Shot into the brown.
There was a party of hostiles on that bluff and he just shot at the bunch.
On the other hand, Jack Bean picked and hit his man, ca 1200 yards. He cheated, he had a telescopic sight on his Sharps. But by the end of production, Sharps was including factory installed scopes on 25% of their rifles.

Back