A .380 round and human flesh.

First off, I'm not looking for sympathy here. This is merely a wake up call.

trigger.jpg

January 28th of this year, I was looking over my mothers handgun--a .380 Jennings. I know, I know, I should have known better! But after looking the gun over, I put the magazine back into the gun, and laid it in it's box. In doing so, I picked up the instructions on how to disassemble the weapon and not remembering I had just put the magazine back into the gun, I proceeded to try and take it apart. With a gentle shove back on the slide, and sear held down, I sent a round through my hand. If you look between my index and middle finger, you can see where the bullet entered my palm. On the other picture, the back of my hand, you can see where the bullet exited--just above the incision.

In short, reconstructive surgery was done, and a piece of bone had to be removed from my elbow and placed in my hand to replace the metacarpal of my middle finger. I still have a 1.5" piece of stainless steel, 5 screws, and two neat lil' twisty ties holding it all together. And 4 nice scars to remind me constantly of the danger of a gun.

Does it hurt when it rains? Kinda... Can I predict the weather? No... When it's cold does it hurt, Kinda. Is my hand back to normal? 100% with the exception of a throb every now and then. What did it feel like? Ever had a firecracker go off in your hand? Or a car door slam on it? Just like that, a numbing burn.

I guess that's what complacentcy will get you. .01 seconds of not thinking changed my life dramatically for about 4 months. You don't realize how much you use a hand until you don't have one.

My first, and hopefully last AD. I've learned a lot. The Most Highest was definately on my side that day.

Now then, any one else ever had an AD?

------------------
>>>>>>>>------------TMS---------------->>>

OUCH ! :(
Sorry but that was a N/D not an A/D ;)
A Police officer was "testing" a new type of holster for his Dept.
Inserted the Glock, the thumb strap snagged the trigger....
BANG !
Now that's an A/D !
Bullet entered his femur, travelled down it & exited his knee cap. :o
Months later he was on a bust & got peppered by a 12g at long distance.
Time to change careers maybe ? ;)

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
E-mail hotshot_2000@hotmail.com
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

Anyone who claims never to have had an ND simply hasn't been around firearms long enough. However, if any one of the Four Rules are followed, tragedy is averted. Not preaching here....I've had a close call or two.

Glad to see this was recoverable.
Rich

Ouch! Thanks for sharing the painful lesson. I think we all need to see something like that from time to time to keep us from getting complacent.

yep iv'e had one nd and it was due to neglagence i had a win. 30-30 when i first started shooting i was stupid enough to think that the mag tube was eympty with out checking worked the action not paying attintion went to put the hammer down and it sliped booom there was a round inthe chamber went thru three walls bounced of a floor went into a bunch of cardbord boxes in a storage room luckily no body got hurt nothing damaged except walls and my hearing stupid mistake that i learnd from havent had an nd or ad since and always follow all safty rules to this day due to that one time

------------------
oneshotonekill

What are the four rules again? Did a search on "Four Rules" and couldn't find them.

I've never had a ND/AD , but then again I've only been around guns about a year, so I still have an edge of nervousness keeping me attentive. I imagine when your so accustomed to handling guns, you lose that edge of fear/nervousness/whatever and then you have to rely on ingrained training and repetitive routine. Thank you for your post TMS.

Glad this didn't turn out to be the Last of the Mohicans!
Okay, okay. If you want GOOD humor, pay money!

Thanks for sharing that with us and, in this case, a picture is worth a thousand words.

I kept thinking, "If I had done this with my .45 HydraShoks....."

HS,
I have a Glock and your story is one of my worst nightmares. It's the reason I carry a 1911 and have a dent in my thumb from pushing up on the safety.

Thanks to all for the reminder "Safety First!"

Ozzie:

Rule 1: All guns are always loaded.
Rule 2: Point the muzzle in a safe direction (or, don't cover anything you're not willing to destroy, living or inanimate).
Rule 3: Be sure of your target and what's behind it.
Rule 4: Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are aligned on the target.

I know, we've (mostly) all seen these rules a million times. They still bear repeating. Constantly.

------------------
"The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property,
or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question.."
Article 11, Section 13, CO state constitution.
----------
Coinneach, CO CAN Operator

I hope you don't mind, but I'm forwarding this to a few of my friends.
Kinda like a wake up call that this could happen to me or anyone I know if they're not careful and/or responsible.
Treat your firearm with respect. Know that it can kill and maim ANYONE.

Fear your firearm. Fear leads to respect. Respect leads to cautiousness. Cautiousness leads to safety. Safety leads to peace of mind. That is the path of the true Responsible Gun Owner!

------------------
RONIN - samurai with no masters

A lesson learned the hard way is a lesson learned well.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Dennis,

I couldn't help but laugh at your crack about the Last of the Mohicans! :)

It's funny you brought up the .45 hydra-shoks. A cop, one week prior to my incident, sent a .45 round through all 4 of his knuckles on his right hand. The bullet entered just below where his index finger meets his palm, and it exited just below his little finger.

He's spent months trying to regain full use of his hand and though it's been almost a year, he's only recovered 50% use and movement.

How did he do it? Cleaning his "unloaded" gun...

------------------
>>>>>>>>------------TMS---------------->>>

[This message has been edited by The Mohican Sneak (edited November 16, 1999).]

Mohican Sneak,
I admire your courage at posting this. Many wouldn't have done so. Thanks for bringing the point home for so many of us. You are so right that one second of not paying attention can wipe out years of training.
Thanks.

Hey MS...

Had to read it a second time...sorry it happened, but glad it was awhile back. I've enjoyed your posts in "The Hunt" and am happy to know you had a good season after the fact[/] and that you'll still be posting for the rest of the season :)

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

Thanks for having the courage to share that with us.

I also had a AD. I let a friend look at my 1911 once. Unknown to me he had racked the slide and chambered a round. Later on after he had left, I sat down in front of the TV and decide to do a little dry firing. So I dropped the mag and pulled back the hammer. You know the rest of the story.

I consider my self lucky, considering what could have happen, a new TV is cheap.

I seen one of Macons Finest put a round threw a table top at local Tactical match earlier this year. It could happen to anyone.

Now I always check and double check.
-----------------

"I'm totin' this pistol because my SKS won't fit in my dang holster
[This message has been edited by Jimmie (edited November 16, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Jimmie (edited November 16, 1999).]

Dennis,

Hydra-Shocks do nasty things to lower legs also. One of our Sheriff's deputies put a .45 through his leg one night. Damn near lost his whole calf muscle.

As for me, I had an ND in the house once, I was clearing a Shotgun. Needless to attention was not paid and a 12 ga slug when through the ceiling and out the roof.

An important lesson was learned that day. When it comes to firearms there is nothing more important than safety.

Gator

------------------
Root Hog or Die Poor

Reply to Hs--After reading the entire string
I finally figured out that A/D meant accidental discharge but what the hell does
N/D mean????? I wont sleep well until I know!
ernest2
TFL &
Conn.CAN opperator
larrysdiscountguns@erols.com

Back