A 1991A1 that works! Or, why I was seduced by this "cheap" mil-spec gun.

vanfunk

It seems I got a good 'un. Shoots to point of aim, reliable with everything I've put through it so far(knock on wood)...The gun is very tight! Much tighter, in fact, than any other 1911 I looked at in the store(Springfield, Kimber, and especially Para-Ord). No slop in the barrel, front or rear. Even, black matte finish, the flats are flat and the rounds are round! I'm almost embarrased to admit that I'm very impressed with this pistol! Any other happy 1991A1 owners out there? Two humble questions- on my pistol (Commander) it appears that the frame is cut already for a beavertail. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Also, are there any truly "drop in" extended safeties (non-ambi) out there? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

------------------
semper ubi sub ubi

I have a 1991A1 Compact. After I chucked the factory mag and started using Shooting Stars, it's been 100% reliable.

I don't think the factory cut the frame for a beavertail. You can get a drop in from several sources but they don't look or function as well as one that has been properly fitted.

The thing to remember is, even so called "drop in" parts need to be fitted. This is especially true when you are talking about safeties!

I dropped in a Wilson "Drop In" upswept grip safety streaight into my Para !
Works GREAT. :)
Come on down & talk 1911 with da guys.

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
E-mail hotshot_2000@hotmail.com
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

I have never seen a MILSPEC M1911 that did not go bang every time. Glad to hear the QC on your 1991 is up to snuff. Where, may I ask, did you get it? I am in the market for a 1991 Commander and can't find one anywhere in Northern Virginia.

I haven't priced 'em recently, but the 1991A1 was the best firearms buy several years ago. At least $100 less than a Glock 17 and in a respectable caliber! The Colt pistols are clones of the 1911A1 US Army, and are just as reliable as the ol' GI pistols.

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1785
We don't have a chaplain here, but I don't view that as any major problem... You can rest assured
that you will not go in that bag until I've said a few appropriate words over you
R. Lee Ermy as Sgt Major Haffner, from The Siege of Firebase Gloria
If you have to shoot a man, shoot him in the guts. It may not kill him... sometimes they die slow, but it'll paralyze his brain and arm and the fight is all but over Wild Bill Hickok

I went to the Gun Show at Salem, Va. yesterday...It was insane, what with vendors running around the floor telling anyone that would listen that Colt had "closed their doors".

The consequences of this rumor led to grossly overpriced model 1991s and anything else that Colt had announced they were dropping. Parkerized 1991s that sold for $375 6 months ago were tagged at $550-600!

This should be good for those who have these models, and bad for those who want these models. You are right , the QC on the late model 1991s is great. I wish I had gotten one when they were $375.! (and that from a guy who has two Kimbers)

BTW, I bought a new Charles Daly for $309 just to use as a project gun for my upcoming retirement...That's another subject!

vanfunk--count me in as satisfied 1991A1 owner. I've got one each in .45, .38 Super, and 9mm, and so far they've all been good pistols.

The only problem I've had was a weak extractor in the 9mm. I sent this pistol to Colt's service department, which did a good job of fixing the problem.

I'll probably leave all of these pistols 100% factory. :)

vanfunk: I've got one in stainless 1991A1 model and eyeing again to get the ParaOrdnance 1911 too this coming months. It works great and I haven't seen malfunctions to it. I bought it for 1000 dollars plus (you know considered imported already when brought in, in Asia). What I had noticed only as others said, there are sharp edges but all the fittings are great and real flat and like gloves to my small palm.

I am trying to study all about 1911 tuning at "HS" site, for it gives full details of a 1911 model.

***1911's will keeps going on and on, and if you have one, you don't think much to have other models. That's my personal taste and opinion.

Thanks

Thanks for your posts, guys. It's nice to be validated! Dogger, I found my commander in my home state, Massachusetts, for $469. A little on the pricey side, but with speculation driving up the prices on these models, I'm happy to have paid that little. I think I'm going to keep it stock (except for the Wilson trigger and grips). If I want a 1911 with all the latest embellishment, I'll save up and buy one. Thanks again for your responses!

------------------
semper ubi sub ubi

Van- Where in MA did you get it for that price? I'm also in MA and do most of my shopping at Four Seasons and the Coin Collecters Gallery.

grape

Anyone looking for a Colt 1991A1 should try e-mailing Bachman Pawn & Gun at sales@bachmangun.com
They usually have the "Best" prices !
Also have a look in http://www.gunsamerica.com
You should be able to find one for less than $400 if you have the "need" ! ;)

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
E-mail hotshot_2000@hotmail.com
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

Just to let you guys know, Colt rethought their position on dropping the 1991A1 series and have decided to keep it in production. The models dropped are all DA guns plus the Mustang series.

Grapeshad-
I got it at Roach's in Cambridge. I've known those guys for a long time, and do alot of trading there, so they tend to "finesse" the pricetag for me. They massaged the price of my commander down $30 to make it fit more nicely with my trade-in. I've been trying to get to Four Seasons more often. I bought my SIG P210 there, and so far they've been pleasant and accomodating. Haven't been to CCG yet. Are there prices/selection good?
It's good to know you're out there, Grapeshad-there aren't too many of us Massachusetts boys on this forum.

------------------
semper ubi sub ubi

Hi Van- As far as CCG goes, it depends on which guns you are talking about. I do find their prices on Glocks, HK's and Sig's more than Four Seasons except for Berettas. Why? Who knows.. I usually go to Four Seasons even though CCG(Stoneham) is a few exits closer. I know the guys in there pretty well and Carl is a great guy. Did you get the 210 new or was it the used one they had on display?

They have the Colt 1991A1 Goverment model for 489 and the stainless Commander for about 60-70 dollars more. Sounds like you got a good deal. I'll have to check out Roachs(never knew about them). A/G in Lowell is a decent shop although a bit of a ride in a sort of not nice section of town.

Ok babble mode off :) It is good to see more and more MA folks here. take care

Grape

Grapeshad-
I got the used P210, which has turned out to be a very intelligent buy. It was on consignment, so I was able to talk the owner down $100 by phone right there in the store. Roach's selection historically has been excellent, although in recent months their supply has dwindled somewhat. They stand behind their stuff; customer satisfaction is paramount. Where do you shoot in MA (if you don't mind my asking)?

------------------
semper ubi sub ubi

Back