9x25 18 pound 1911 flat wound spring ?

Open45

Anyone here shooting the 9x25 Dillon anymore?
I got a robust Dillon that I love to shoot I usually carry it when I’m not in a rush..and strap on the shoulder rig.

I use the 180 grain FNHCGC moving out about 1200 fps or the 125 gold dot HP at 1750 fps, it’s built on a caspian frame snd a good heavy STI slide with a spring recoil buffer and King and Ed Brown controls, it has a polished black oxide finish , I want to lower the spring weight from 24 pounds to about 18 to get the cases and thump a little better , has anyone used the new flat springs SIG is selling , I wonder who has them out there snd if they work, I’m thinking of useing the progressive Wolff . I had excellent performance on a 6 inch 1911. 45.

I do not have an answer for you, but any experience you can share on 9x25 -- i would love to learn.
From options to build it out on 1911 and glock frames, to loads with common 9mm burger bullets, to hearing protection for in-door ranges -- basically anything you can share :-)

ISMI so far as I am aware is the OEM for most, if not all of the flat wire springs making their way into the 1911 market. Their website is listed below.

As to actually talking to a human that might have some experience with the exact set up the only place that comes to mind is EGW out in PA -- evolution gun works, they build [arts and guns often race or custom oriented and have offered some flat wire stuff for awhile so they **might** have a place to speak from.

I am not 100% clear on what your looking to do when you say "get the cases and thump better" -- if your looking at ejection position of your spent shells that **might** be adjusted with extractor tension -- or that is what I have always been taught. Running the loads your running I would be plenty happy with the "thump" but maybe I am getting less stout in life.

For my money / gun / hands I would proceed with caution as the loads you list are roughly the same energy as 10 mm for which the conventional wisdom is a 24 mm flat wire in a 5 inch 1911.

I having messed with that in my 10 mm 5 inch am not going to say I think it 100% needs to be 24 but not sure I would drop to 18 at least not all at once and to without balancing other factors -- 2 other aspects to this is what is your main spring weight is as cocking the hammer also provides resistance to the rearward travel of the slide and if your running a "square" profile firing pin stop -- that last point is maybe much debatable but if I am picking a FPS for a 1911 running a hot round like 10mm etc. I go FPS for all the help I can get.

goodluck

https://www.ismi-gunsprings.com/?product=1911-flatwire-govt-model-recoil-springs

I use the 180 grain FNHCGC moving out about 1200 fps or the 125 gold dot HP at 1750 fps, it’s built on a caspian frame snd a good heavy STI slide with a spring recoil buffer and King and Ed Brown controls, it has a polished black oxide finish , I want to lower the spring weight from 24 pounds to about 18 to get the cases and thump a little better , has anyone used the new flat springs SIG is selling , I wonder who has them out there snd if they work, I’m thinking of useing the progressive Wolff . I had excellent performance on a 6 inch 1911. 45.
The 9x25D is a true 10mm case necked down to .355/9mm. This is the cartridge that finally gave the minimeter a set of nads.

So why not start with a Wilson Combat FW 24lb spring for a 10mm 1911 and see if you have cycling issues? If so, then start backing off from there. In other words, if 24lbs isn’t to your liking, drop down to 22lbs, then to 20lbs, then to 18lbs.

Here’s the link:

https://wilsoncombat.com/recoil-spring-kit-flat-wire-10mm-460-rowland-full-size-24lb.html

Last edited:
Back