9x23

tog

how come no one makes pistols for this round? how much harder would it be to do? it really sounds like one of the best available rounds out there? can 9mmluger pistols be converted? what kids of problems do you face doing this? mags? what are the pros and cons of this round?
and who DOES make a gun chambered in it?

oh man
after the crash
i am now a junior member again
i lost like 40 posts that will forever be dashed on the digital trasheap of the past

Get back on the horse and ride, son!

9x23?
What about it?
Isn't it the same as .357 Sig, 9MM Magnum, .38 Cassull, and so on and so forth... Just another why to get a .355 bullet going fast?
I don't see who one cartridge is any better than another in this field. All the velocities are falling within the same or similar velocity spectrums.

One drawback to the 9x23mm is that it's too long to fit in a pistol designed around the 9x19mm cartridge. You need to go to a larger frame (something like a 1911, CZ-97, Ruger P97, SIG P220, Glock 20, et cetera) and then you usually have the problem that those pistols aren't made with a breechface sized for 9mm cartridges.

Colt made a few pistols in 9x23mm but I think they've been discontinued.

All IPSC shooter load their 9x23 or 38 Super to a OAL. of 1.245" to 1.260" that is the same as 45 ACP round.

aren't its ballistics much better than 9x19 and the sig?
seems like it could push it even faster, seems like an overlooked round
didn't it come out about the asme time as the 40auto?
maybe winchester could work up a deal with a pistol compnay and offer them real real cheap to some state highway patrol to get the ball rolling
kinda like texas and the sig

Hello all.

Dane Burns appears to be a guy who knows an awfull lot about the 9x23 Win. His web site is "http://www.burnscustom.com/" and it shows information regarding 9x23 Win.

Dane is no longer visiting the 1911Forum site. There was a disagreement with the moderators, and many users are no longer using that site.

Dane converted a Colt 38 Super to 9x23 Win for me a while back, and it is a superb gun. It is extremely accurate, very reliable (not one failure in the first 1200 rounds) and has the ballistics of a 357 Mag. As a matter of fact, it will launch 125 gr JFP to well over 1700 fps with no strain. (NOTE: This is my load, with Winchester 9x23 Win brass! Do not try this without building up to it!!) The usual target load I shoot is 125 gr JFP with 6.7 gr of Power Pistol. It is a nice, easy shooting target load.

I have been a .45 ACP fan for years, even though I own 357 Mags. Somehow, the blast and recoil are much less with the 9x23 Win. I shoot in an indoor range that will not allow 357 Mag, but they have no problems when I shoot either my reloads or the factory Winchester 9x23 Win (white box) that are 1450 fps.

I don't know if Dane will still convert a 38 Super for someone or not, he is much busier than he used to be. He is easy to talk to so either call or e-mail him with questions.

Also, there is an excellent forum that he is just starting up, "http://www.pistolsmith.com/" where he, Larry Vickers, Desert Dog and other pistolsmiths hang out. It would be an excellent place to post questions about 9x23 Win. I would suggest that anyone who is interested in this round visit and ask questions!

Casey

I Chrony some factory Winchester 9x23 124gr JSP (Q4304) white box in my STI open class gun and the average velocity was 1585 FPS. Les Bear and Nowlin make custom gun in this caliber also.

Back