9x23 Colt Custom reworked by Dane Burns

Casey

Well, actually I should say that Dane Burns converted it from 38 Super to 9x23, and did some trigger work on it.

Wow!! If you don't have one or haven't even shot one, you owe it to yourself to try one out! Stock, using factory Winchester ammunition, it shoots very much like a 38 Super; (in other words, super!). But the nice part is that when you go to load it up, it will really load up and talk. The brass by Winchester is really tough, and will take 45000+ psi.

When you load the cartridge up, it dosen't get uncontrollable. I started out with about 5.5 gr of W231, and this is a really soft target round. When you start upping the W231, it changes the sound to a higher pitch, but the recoil from a 125 gr jhp in front of 6.8 gr of W231 bothers me less than shooting factory .40 *&* out of a 1911. (NOTE: These are my own loads, and I am NOT recommending them to ANYONE else. They work for me.)

The Custom from Colt was really nice to start with. It is highly polished stainless steel, and looks pretty good. Mr. Burns put a Barsto barrel in, and replaced the springs and the trigger. It is really sweet, and I can shoot it as well as most of my other 1911's, with the exception of the Kimber.

Now all I have to do is find a good set of target and real life loads for Hodgdon Clays.

Casey

I don't know anyone who uses Clays for 9x23, but WAP, W540,HS-6 and VV N337 all work fairly well. I have six or eight pounds of WAP left and it's the best thing going. I have 125 Gold Dots doing 1500 fps from my stock Colt. The factory Silvertip load is excellent as is their 124JSP load. I don't think Winchester ever released the FMJ ammo, because it tends to punch holes in soft body armour. Can't be having that. Semper Fidelis...Ken

Glad that you like it Casey. That 9x23 is the way all brass should be made. I plan to get one myself ASAP. I have settled on getting an awesome barrel for it from Network Custom Guns .

Got to shoot way hot 9x23 that recovered for follow up taps faster than my 9mm SIG. The 45 Super 200gr @ 1400fps was quicker to recover and had a milder feel than any 40 *&* that I've ever tried. That's with a stock light 17 & 1/2pound recoil spring too. Got to shoot it through The Ultimate and it was so quick that I couldn't even see the slide move. No exageration. That'll give me anything a 38 special/ 357 Mag can do plus a 44 Mag out of a 1911 with a barrel swap. I was originally wanting a 10mm, which NCG does too, but will have plenty of versatility with these two calibers to do anything I'll ever want to w/a handgun.

Glad you are a proud new owner of a 9x23 Casey. It sounds like some folks are gaining interest in this great round. I doubt if any big companies w/take it up again, but it seems to have some following. I think we can both be put on that list.

Can you post a picture of Dane's work. I'm planning on statring my own 9x23 early next year. I'm interest in reloading for it too. EchoFiveMike could a hot 9x23 punch holes in soft body armor for real? Since I've heard people saying that they've got a 9x23 going well over 1600 fps, I think I saw somewhere that they were pushing the round up arond 2000 fps. I think it would be a great defensive round so does Dane. Also where can you get reload data on the round?

thanks, Cyric

Cyric13,

I don't have any facilities to post a picture. I am very proud of the gun, but the only thing that looks different externally is the trigger, as Mr. Burns installed a different one. The trigger is very smooth and consistent. Other than that, it looks like a Colt Custom 1911A1 in highly polished stainless.

I have only had a couple of chances to shoot this gun, as I got it back from Mr. Burns late last week. I am still trying out several different loads, both target and self defense.

There are definitely those out there who are able to push the 2000 fps range with this round, and I may/may not do so with this gun. The 1600+ fps that I have shot did not give any pressure indications, and I don't think that I have gone as high as I will go. One thing, I am using rifle primers; don't know what they would do with pistol primers.

I also would like to say that probably 99% of what is going to go through this gun will be MUCH milder than these hot rounds. I am carefully pushing the limits of what this round/pistol is capable of doing (for me) and I am sure that there are those out there who would say I am crazy for doing so.

What I really like about this setup is that I will have the choice of target or hot loads, with quite a difference in performance, with very controllable handling in one gun. The Winchester brass is aparently VERY strong, and although I have only fired most of the brass a couple of times, it appears to be able to handle it.

Casey

I think I saw Mr. Burns site saying that he also uses small rifle primers. BTW do you use normal 9mm dies or do you buy 9x23? Mr. Burns says he uses the normal 9mm dies. Any differnce in using one over the other. Like I said I'm planning on starting one from the frame up.

Cyric

I hope that it is clear to all that I am just starting out with the 9x23. I am depending on others for information, and some on this and other boards have been willing to share advise with me.

I use the normal 9mm dies with my SDB. This seems to work OK, and I really don't want to load on a single stage after getting used to my SDB.

Mr. Burns has been very helpful, it was indeed he who suggested using the normal 9mm dies. I also use the rifle primers due to reading the information on his site, and also due to the experience of a friend who shoots 9x23.

Casey

Back