9x18mmMak ammo

AC's & 45's

I have noticed a curious phenomenon my Mak during my last two range sessions. I was trying to work out a FTF problem so I was going real slow and paying very close attention.

What I noticed was all of my Barnaul HPs were hitting consistently above point of aim at 25 yds.
Also after I switched to the Novosirbirsk "Green Box" FMJs I noticed they grouped about that much below point of aim.
Either round is only ~3" above or below point of aim, so I am not overly concerned. I am however curious if any body else has experienced this.
I am not exactly a profesional shooter or anything resembling one, but I ain't no rookie either. I am aware that differing bullet weights can often affect point of impact. I have experienced this over the years with my other pistols.

The Barnaul box is marked 6.1g/95gr. The green box is only marked with 6g. Does this difference equal 5 gr. If so is this really enough to affect the point of impact?
I also know velocities can affect point of impact.
The Barnaul box indicates V10-290 m/s. The green box has V10=315 M/S.
Can someone please translate this info to normal US terminology?

These markings lead me to beleive the Barnaul rounds are slower. If this is true my experience with other calibers would lead me to expect them to impact higher.

Incidently at 15 yrd both rounds hit dead center in groups of roughly 2 inches.

What Mak do you own, EG, Bulgie, Russian? adjustable sight models can have poor accuracy due to a loose rear sight.
Both my mak's EG & bulgie (fixed sight's)are dead on.

My Bulgarian surplus Mak groups about 1 inch low and to the left (at 50 feet) regardless of what ammo I'm using and I've tried 4 different kinds.

I *think* that it's me, rather than the pistol as from rest it's dead on. So, in mine, at least, the brand of ammo makes no difference.

Owen

Berthold..

I have one of the unissued Bulgarian models.
I finally got my feed ramp polished out. It had many pronounced tooling marks. I was having troublr with the Barnaul HP's jamming up. I was averaging at least one per mag. Yesterday I ran 150 rounds though her with no bobbles.

I am curious about this point of impact thing though. It doesn't seem to matter whether I shoot unsupported "Weaver"
or over a rest, it is still there. Strange Huh?
I probably would'nt have noticed it but I was shooting at a 6" orange dot. That is when I noticed I had to adjust my point of aim to hit on target with both of these rounds.

Strangely the S&B seemed to hit right on point of aim.
At the monment I don't have any of it around to investigate further.

Back