9mm

ammo.crafter

Does anyone have a decent starting load for 9mm with a 115gr cast bullet?

I'll be using it in a Hi-Power as well as a SIG SP2022.

Thanks.

PS Have been reloading for 50+ years.

With full power jacketed 9mm Universal Clays burns clean and is consistent. With lower pressure loads, W231 is probably more optimum. Clays or 700x may also be good with cast lead. For plinking loads, lots of powders will work.

ammocrafter, I've been handloading, at least, 20 calibers in Pa for 44 years, now down to 15.

I can suggest the following, but, as you know, it depends on your gun: used Colt American, Ruger LCR, Walther PPQ

115gr (depends on the manufacturer - Hornady, Remington, Missouri Bullet Co., Precision Delta):

HP-38 5.0gr
Titegroup 4.5gr
Clays 3.7gr
Blue Dot 6.8gr

Best group= CFE Pistol, 5.7gr. Check maximum load, drop back toward minimum and work up.

I like HP-38/W231 for 9mm with 115's, but 5 grains sounds like a pretty stiff starting load with 115 lead.
Most printed data I have for lead starts around 3.8 or 4 grains, and top out around 4.8 or 5.
I use 4.4 W231 as a practice load with coated 115's.

That did not sound like a 50+ year reloader to me.
Never heard of loading manuals?
Never heard of specifying the powder used?
Never heard of difference in load data between lead/plated and jacketed bullets?
What do you want the load to do? Plinking? Paper target at 10 yards? Precision accuracy at 50 yards? Hitting steel plates at 10 yards?

Hammerhead said: "I like HP-38/W231 for 9mm with 115's, but 5 grains sounds like a pretty stiff starting load with 115 lead."

I apologize. None of the loads I listed have been used with lead/cast bullets. I should have been more specific, especially since I obviously missed OP's request on this issue.

Back