9mm - Which one?

neal bloom

Recently purchased a Ruger P95. The travel of the trigger is too long for me in DA/SA. Very annoying on the range. By the time the hammer falls I've lost aim. Can't get any sort of grouping. Switch to my SW 9mm and it is on. Borrow a friends Hi-Power clone and can get decent groups. My revolvers are dead on. I have a SW 547 9mm revolver and it is wonderful. The P95 is all over the place. In fact this is the second one I have had since January. The first one was horrid and the factory replaced it. No more waiting for me. I am thinking of replacing it with either a Browning Hi-Power, a Glock 17, or a CZ 75. Which of these has the lightest trigger and the shortest travel? I have small hands so I need a short travel. Or should I consider something else?

Hello. This will be a subjective decision and one that will have to be made by you. The CZ75, if carried with the hammer down will also have a long trigger reach for the first DA shot. Carried cocked and locked, reach will be significantly shorter. I greatly prefer the Browning HP to all other 9mm pistols and have found that folks with smaller hands can shoot them just fine. The reach on the Glock should be shorter than the Ruger or the CZ (in DA mode), but some folks don't like their trigger pulls.

CZ is now selling their SA version of the 75 which is supposed to have a bit better single action pull.

Best.

It makes no sense but,,

One of the reasons I like my CZ7b so much is that the long, loading single action trigger pull reminds me a lot of the double action pull of a Smith revolver. Both have the same feel to me. The double action pull on the CZ is hard to get used to though, but since my model doesn't have a decocker, I seldom if ever use it DA.

For small hands, and I have kinda small hands also, the Hi Power with Speigle(sp) thin profile grips is the best thing I've found.

Is this going to be a carry weapon, or something for the range?

To be honest, for me it makes no difference. I've found that my Glock 19 is the best package at either place for me. If you haven't tried it, I strongly recommend it. You'll either love it, or hate it. There's almost no such thing as middle ground with Glocks with most folks. And the trigger disconnect can be changed up or down (almost all of them ship with 5.5 pound triggers) to suit your needs.

Thanks for the feedback.

I want to use it for the range. I am leaning towards the HP or the Glock. I have handled them at the detailer. No one carries the CZ and I am a little leary of ordering a weapon with out first handling one. What are the going prices for HP and the Glock 17? Should I get adjustable sights? Does any one have any thoughts about running reloads through either one?

Again, I appreciate the responses. I think I am going to enjoy TFL.

Neal,

If you want it just for the range, I would prefer the Browning HP. The extra heft of the weapon will tame the recoil of even the stoutest of 9mm loads. Today I fired some Cor Bon 9mm +P 125JHP rated at 1250fps with no problem out of my Argentinian Browning HP clone. My carry gun is a G-36 .45, so shooting this one was a breeze. With standard 115gr FMJ the recoil extremely mild.

Prices, both new and used run a bit higher for the Browning, about $600 new vs $500 for the Glocks. A lot depends upon the region where you live and particular models. Used pistols can run you about $400 for Brownings and $350 for Glocks. If you are interested in a Browning HP clone, they can be had in the neighborhood of $250-$350 new.

Good Shooting
Red

I own several 9mm's. Walther P99, S&W 5904, Sig 225, CZ75B, Hi-Power clone, Ruger P-Series, Glock G17.

If all you're concerned about is a single, consistent trigger pull, get the Glock.

If you want the tightest groups, get the CZ75B.

If you want the best double action trigger, get the Sig.

If you want to impress your friends, get the Walther P99.

If you want reliability, get the Ruger. You can even feed it muddy ammo, it won't care.

Personally, the first one out of the safe and the last one put back is the CZ75.

For a relatively inexpensive way to see if you will like the HP (and I for one think you'll love it) try one of the HP clones. They are available for under $200.00. Ones that I'd suggest are the Arcus 94 and the FEG PJK. E-mail me if you want sources.

If you find you like the HP and are comfortable with carry C&L, then consider the FM. They are made under license from FN and sell NIB for about $300-$400.

The other pistol that I would suggest is the Sig, either a 225 or 226. They are traditional DA/SA but, like the HPs, natural pointers and smooth as silk. NIB 225s are available for about $450 and many police trade-in 226s are available in the sub $400 range.

Same old story,

for availabilty of parts,ease of service,reliabilty,concealability,and power of cartridge,

Glock

But it is always a lively topic.

For the Range? Have a G17 and a couple of Hipowers. Like Glocks a lot and shoot them a lot. The BHP is a Hands-Down choice. The BHP I own is superbly accurate and more fun to shoot than any Glock. The only place Glock has the BHP beat is in length of trigger reset but that should be of no concern for your use. You won't regret getting a BHP no matter what use you put it to! If you'd like to read up on HP's see http://www.fnhipower.com

There is NO question amongst your choices 'for the range': Thee CZ-75.;)

Trigger? Glock's not even in the same league as a cocked & locked single action trigger.:o The stock CZ trigger is better than a BHP's because it will be smoother and lighter. I readily admit that the HP CAN be tuned to be better, after some time and investment.:)

Accuracy? Ditto the Glock again.:( I know, I know, there are SOME fine examples out there-so no flames please.:D I am just personally aware of better results from HPs and CZs across the board.

Recoil? The Glock is great, despite the plastic frame and light weight. I just think the all-steel guns are a 'bit' easier in this regard. Weight helps dampen recoil, that's just common-sense.

Reliability, or Durability? Put your money on the Glock or CZ first. They were designed when 'modern' JHP ammo was in use. I just don't think the HP can stand up as well to the hotter stuff over the long-term.

CCW? Glock, or the BHP. The weight of the Glock is a non-issue. I think others are just a tad less bulky than a CZ-75. But, the newest compact CZs are contenders, along with the compact Glocks. Where's Browning?:D

Standard capacity mags? All are around, but you could choke on the cash outlay required for the Glock's.:barf:

A .22 trainer for practice? Where's the Browning, again? The edge goes to the CZ. All steel, which duplicates the weight of the centerfire gun, and it's 'factory' designed and made, not an aftermarket item. Did I mention it was cheaper than the two brands available for the Glock?:D

I have a Glock 23 and am very happy with it. So if I were selecting, for myself, from your three I would select the Glock and I would even switch to the model 19. However, I like DAO and its intended use is personal defense not target shooting. Your usage may lead away from a DAO trigger. Try them at the range and select the one you are most comfortable with.

CZ-75B, HP or....

The Hi Power or the CZ-75 are excellent choices. I have both and love them. If you want something really different, get an HK P7M8 or M13.

Pilot

Try the Steyr S9. They are a tad bit smaller than glock. Much better trigger, accurate and reliable plus a couple unique safety features. The M9 is a bit larger, but the prices are more reasonable right now, have seen em around 350.00.

I agree with jar and pilot, I just got my FEG hi power clone and love it! It was brand new for $200 and you can get hi cap magazines right now for $20(13 and 17 rounders)

Back