9mm walther p99 and 124gr speer gold dots?

jdd

Inactive
what's the problem with the 9mm walther p99 and 124gr speer gold dots? i have read a couple of posts here that claim the bullets get stuck in the barrel. i recently bought proload's 124gr +p, that i understand uses speer gold dots, but i haven't tried it out yet. now, i don't know if i should.

The original post on Gold dots came from me.
When my friend tried to chamber 124gr Speer Golddots in his P99 the bullet became stuck in the rifleings, and the gun locked up. The lockup occured AFTER a round was fired. The lockup occured as the weapon tried to chanber another round. A trip to the gunsmith revealed that there was NOTHING wrong with the weapon. The problem was with the shape and the length of the bullet only!
My friend was advised to not try to shoot 124gr Golddots in this pistol. I took this advice to heart, and did not try them in my P99 at all, and posted the warning on TFL as a courtesy to other P99 ,and by extension,SW99 owners. Having a live round stuck in ones pistol is not a good thing! As an aside, the same thing happened to me when I was shooting his Walther P5. Same bullet weight, same brand, and fix.

Hello, all. Years ago, I had a Walther P88 and it would not allow anything other than a hardball ogive to be chambered. It, too, "locked up" so to speak if another shape bullet was used. It appears that the later Walthers are similar in that regard. best.

I tried target/range UMC and it shot but didn't want to initially load very well. I also got the feeling that the chamber wasn't closing completely. I only shot 9 and won't ever touch it again! I also shot some target/range winchester clean and it worked perfect. The bullets look similiar but I am guessing the UMC is a little longer and rounder. I am sticking with a cone shaped round shorter than the UMC. The angle into the chamber appears to be very steep!

I've experienced the same problem in both of my 9mm P99's. The Gold Dot is stripped from the magazine and jammed into the rifling. I had to disassemble the pistol and drive the loaded round from the barrel with a cleaning rod. On the other hand, my P99's digest FMJ from PMC, Blazer and WW. They also work great with Golden Sabers, Hydra-Shoks, and late production CorBon 115 gr. JHP. The latter is very accurate in my particular pistols. I had some 1992 vintage CorBon that would not feed. These rounds had a greater OAL than the recent (South Dakota)production. I haven't tried Gold Dots in my.40 caliber P99, as I am delighted with the accuracy of the 155 gr. HydraShok.

huge,
were those 124gr bullets?

can i expect to have similar problems in my p99 with all gold dots (115gr and 147gr too), or just the 124gr?

jdd: Yes, they were 124 gr. Gold Dots, loaded in Speer Lawman +P rounds (stock # 53617). I've only tried the 124 gr. Because the 115 gr. CorBon suits my purposes, I did not try other bullet weights. At the suggestion of another poster, I called Blount and they reported no knowledge of the problems in any firearms, Walthers included. They offered to replace the ammuntion. As I have other pistols that perform reliably with this same load, I passed on the offer. Perhaps other users can report on the 115 gr. and 147 gr. performance? God bless.

Back