9mm vs. 9mm+p/+p+

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterGunn

I have read a good number of threads on ammo, stopping power, and penetration. The only problem is I haven't really seen a concensus on these issues.

I currently load my two-tone Sig 226 with Federal's 9BP 115gr. JHP and/or Remington's version of the same. I have been tempted to make the switch to Cor-Bon's 115gr. JHP+p or Triton's version of the same, but have not yet made any final decisions.

I am really finding my current loadings to be very accurate and reliable in my weapon, but I am wondering if I am missing out on having that extra punch with the +p versions.

Please give your insights on this issue. You may also offer your opinions on different bullet weights as well.

Thanks.

------------------
"By His stripes we are healed..."

PeterGunn

Hello, PeterGunn! There is nothing wrong with the Federal 9BP standard pressure load nor the Remington since they redesigned their standard jacketed hollowpoint some years ago.
In my experience, the Federal expands a bit more than the std pressure Remington. If you like these loads in terms of accuracy and reliability, I'd use them without worry. Still, I do think that the Plus P line often does offer a bit "more." For example, with certain loads, the .38 Spec can be a good defensive round, but the .357 Magnum is generally considered a very good stopper. The only differnce between the two on the receiving end is velocity which results in both more kinetic energy and momentum and greater wounding ability. The same parallel seems to be holding true with Plus P .38 vs std pressure .38 and .357 SIG vs Plus P 9mm.
Yet, placement is more important than added amounts of power in my opinion. I like Cor*Bon 115 gr Plus P JHPs or Triton's Plus P 115 gr Hi-Vel or QuikShok in 9mm, but am testing their 124 and 125 gr loads as well.
Yet, in my airweight S&W M042, I carry the Federal std. pressure 125 gr Nyclad HP instead of the Plus P stuff as it's easier for me to make rapid repeat hits, something that's frequently required with most handgun calibers in defensive scenarios. It's a trade off. I'm not trying to straddle the fence on this, but just don't see an absolute in terms of the "whole picture." I have also seen the results of Plus P 9mm on felons in two occassions; one was an instant stop and fatal (heart) while the other was an instant stop, but non-fatal, lower torso. That said,
a local officer was shot with a .40 S&W using a 180 gr JHP. He was NOT stopped and was able to sit down a moment later, even though very seriously injured. Yet, the nine is not better than the forty! Placement is the key and everything else is secondary. Best.

I agree with most of Mr. Camp's comments. I use either the Federal "9BP" or the Winchester 115 gr. Silvertip in my 9mm. Although the +P+ loads have a great reputation for stopping power, I don't think pushing the same bullet 150 fps faster makes that much difference.

I have tried both the Cor-Bon and Triton 115 gr. JHPs and was not impressed with either. Both caused jams in my S&W 6906, which is 100% reliable with any standard pressure load. Neither were as accurate as the 9BP or Silvertip. In addition, the muzzle flash of the Triton load is horrendous. [In its favor, the Cor-Bon load has no muzzle flash to speak of.]

I hate to bring up the issue of cost, because you shouldn't cut corners on things that your life may depend on, but the Cor-Bon ammo costs 75% more than 9BP or Silvertips. Do you think it's that much better? I don't.

If I need 1300+ fps, I will just use my .357 Mag.

Hello. Alfadog makes a very valid point concerning reliability. I have no memory of how Cor*Bon did out of the few S&W autos I've fired it from, but it and especially Triton, group very well from my BHP. While I do think that the faster loads may be a bit better, I certainly do NOT think that certain of the std. pressure classics like 124 gr Nyclad or Federal's 9BP are "bad" and wouldn't feel undergunned with either. By the way, the 115 gr Silvertip truly does get nearly 1200 ft/sec from most 9mms and is standard pressure. The one bullet I saw removed from a human expanded well. Best.

I finally shot some +p9mm and really did not seem to be all that noticable, maybe i'm just getting old.

Anyway, I think this old dog is going to stick to the 9BP stuff. I just like that feeling of old reliable being there when the chips are down.

It'll save me bucks down the road anyway.

------------------

PeterGunn

The Illinois State Police seemed to think the extra 150 fps in the Federal and Winchester 115 9mm +P+ made a very BIG difference in real people in the real world; they used both in both std and +p, +P+ over about 30 years and should know?

They just switched to the Glock 22/23 in 40, with the Winchester Ranger Talon 180 JHP after a whole lotta T&E of both guns & ammo in 9, 40, 45 too.

That said, I think the Rem 124 GS +P is a good choice; not too hot, works great, easier to find than CB and Triton. Less QC probs than CB, less flash than Triton.

------------------
>>>>---->

BrokenArrow,

You cannot compare the mission of LE and the mission of a CCW. Both are different.

LE may be required to have their ammo perform even after penetrating heavy barriers. If a CCW were to shoot through a heavy barrier, you might just be answering the questions of a DA why you felt threatened by someone through a door. No thanks, 9BP does the job well for a CCW, like me.

------------------

PeterGunn

Peter Gunn,

I'd stay with the 9BP. Beside the economy factor, this is an excellent round with a reputation for great accuracy as well as decent stopping power. By the way, you are probably getting in excess of 1200 FPS from your 226 by virtue of its' 4.40" barrel.

I've packed a 9 since the middle 80's and have pretty much tried them all. My favorite in the 80's was the GECO Action Safety round (BAT). I carried Cor-Bon for awhile and gave it up after shooting a few hundred rounds of it in matches. The stuff seemed inconsistent from lot to lot. Also had some terrific muzzle flash. Tried Triton also. Scared the crap out of me. SERIOUSLY flattened primers in both a HiPower and a 226. HUGE muzzle flash. I can't believe that this stuff is safe. I think Triton and Cor-Bon are lower quality than Federal and Remington. 9BP is very accurate and consistent. I now carry 9BPLE (+P+). Same quality as 9BP, more power, low flash and a nickle plated case. Blue Grass Armory (forget their URL) sells it online for under $25 a box (WAY cheaper than Cor-Bon and Triton). I think Triton and Cor-Bon only sell because avarage people can't get the "law enforcement only" Winchester and Federal offerings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back