9mm vs .40 in Sig 226

vvyk3d

Inactive
Ive narrowed my choice down to a Sig 226. I hear opposing stories on which caliber i should buy. Anyone have recommendations on which is better. Ive heard that the .40 has better stopping power but more recoil. How much more recoil is it over the 9mm as i do not know because ive only fired the 9. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

"Ive narrowed my choice down to a Sig 226. I hear opposing stories on which caliber i should buy. Anyone have recommendations on which is better. Ive heard that the .40 has better stopping power but more recoil. How much more recoil is it over the 9mm as i do not know because ive only fired the 9. Any input would be greatly appreciated."

IMO, there is a significant difference in recoil between 9mm and .40. In fact, (to me) the .45 ACP is far easier to shoot than the .40. The .40 does have a slight stopping power advantage over 9mm, but you need to try one out before buying (the recoil is both sharp and snappy in .40). Another thing to consider is accuracy: in general the 9mm version will be MORE accurate.

I have shot 9mm, .40, and .45. I also have a Sig 226 in 9mm. I prefer the 9mm because it is more controllable for me, and therefore I am more accurate with it. Golden Saber 124+p, Gold Dot 124+p or the Federal 9BPLE +p+ loads are all excellent loads for the wimpy nine as some call it. I just use the standard pressure loads in my Sig mostly such as Federal 9BP(High Shock)which can be had for a little over $10 for a box of 50. A proven defensive round and cheap enough to do some serious practice shooting. If you go with the 226 in .40, you will also have the option of shooting the .357 Sig round by purchasing another barrel.
Sling Shot

VVYK3D -

If you have shot and liked the P226 in 9mm, you will also like it in .40. At least I do. I shot the 9mm version extensively, and when I transitioned to the .40 I was a bit surprised at first because the recoil was snappier.

It is not, however, uncomfortable, nor is it uncontrollable. It is a very easy transition to make. And if you look at the numbers, the .40 is a more powerful cartridge.

I have found my P226 in .40 to be plenty accurate, one ragged hole at 7 yards rapid fire, somewhat larger at 15. Sorry I can't comment on 25 yards from a rest under controlled conditions, I don't shoot that way. I can get the same level of accuracy out of a P229 in 9mm.

It would appear that the gun is more accurate than I am. Or maybe I am just a sissy-boy. In any event I would recommed that if you are plinking or target shooting, go with the 9mm because the ammo is cheaper. If you are looking for a defensive weapon, go with the .40.

Enjoy the beast, regardless of which one you get.

The main advantage of buying a 9mm 226 at this point in US history would be the availability of factory 15 round magazines. You can find them new for $80 and almost new for $60. If you get lucky you might run across factory 20rd magazines, great for keeping home invasion gangs at bay.

High capacity magazines for the .40 226 is virtually non-existant without your department letterhead, assuming your a law enforcement officer. So, one would have to resort to only 10 rounds of .40S&W.

I'd take the 9mm 226. I own one, and it is very controllable and rewarding to shoot. My .40 229 flips its muzzle much higher and more violently with more blast. But, it only takes a bit more practice to overcome. Thus, I can shoot both equally as well.

I have a hard time accepting the fact that I can only use post-ban 10rd mags in my 229 (preban 12rd mags were recently banned for sale/import/transfer/borrow in CA). On a larger gun such as the 226, that is unacceptable IMO.

There's just something appealing about a high-cap 9mm. That's how God intended 9mm to be.

As i read the suggestions i notice an interesting point on capacity. If i do decide to go with a 9 instead, i will eventually want a .40. What .40s come recommended. I had an opportunity to fire a G23 over the weekend and liked it much but as i read more and more about all the KB with the .40 and the glock its pushing me away from a glock. What other manufacturers make a good quality firearm in .40?

FINAL DECISION!

Just buy a SIG P226 (orP229) in 9mm AND another SIG P226 (orP229) in .40!

This way you can be instinctively familiar with the same operating system instead of fumbling about two different systems.

Aftermarket barrel?

As I understand it, if you get a Sig P-226 in .40, you can later buy an aftermarket, drop-in barrel in 9mm for it from a company called Bar Sto. These barrels are reportedly high quality and fully functional in Sigs. I believe that there is no conversion, however, from 9mm to .40.

What's the catch? With the 9mm barrel, you have to buy different magazines and should probably change your recoil spring for increased reliability.

You might consider researching this angle before you decide.

Hope this helps...

Regards,
Sean

Back