9mm under or around 500

WoolSocks

I have never owned a semiauto and I am looking at getting one in the near future, but I have no idea what to get. Well, I do have an idea.... I would like a 9mm. I also would like to spend somewhere around 500 or less. I already have an "always gun," so I am looking for something to shoot at the range and possibly carry every now and then. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I wholeheartedly suggest that you give the Ruger P95 a look. Exceptional weapon at a price less than $325. Picked mine up for right at $300. Shoots well, reliable, and is user-friendly.

There are lots of other good values in semi-autos out there so handle and shoot as many as you can before you buy.

CZ-75B, Compact or PCR

Check out the CZ line of 9MM's. Either full since CZ-75B or compact steel frame or compact aluminum fram PCR. All are excellent.

Pilot

Other than maybe the Sig theres not much you can't buy for under $500 if you shop around, Glocks (sometimes), CZ's, Rugers, a lot of High Powers, Taurus 9mm's are all under $500. I second Ojibs comments, hit the gun shops or shows and see what fits your hand best and what you like.

If it floats your boat, I'm hearing a lot of good things about the CZ75B, you usually get one Hi-Cap mag (15 shot) and one ten for around $375 leaving plenty of money for holster+ammo. It's a big gun though, not really best for a CCW, most are very accurate though and can be carried cocked and locked or double action.

Blue Duck

Used Police Trade in Sig 226 9mm, with one 15 round mag is $360 at AIMsurplus.

They also have trade in SS S&W M659 for $260 in 9mm w/1 14round mag.

So a SIG is not out of the price range :)

Any of the following should be available for under $400!

Refurbished Glock 17 (new warranty, hi-cap mags)
Refurbished Glock 19 (new warranty, hi-cap mags)
New CZ-75B
New Ruger P-95
Used S&W 5906
Refurbished S&W 5906 (new warranty, hi-cap mags)
Used S&W 469/669
Used Browning Hi-Power (13-17 round hi-caps still cheap).
Used SIGs (226, 225, 228, 239)

I've have had all of these, and my first vote would go to the CZ-75B, next to Glock 17 or 19, then to the Browning, followed by the P-95. But all of them are GOOD guns!

While I've had several SIGs, I don't like the SIG DA/SA transition. Its not a problem for many shooters, though.
And they are quality guns.

But my vote doesn't count in this matter: its got to be the gun that feels best in your hand (trigger reach, grip size, etc.)

Oh boy, you just opened a MULTI-PAGED can o'worms here!!! :D
You'll get some great suggestions though, cuz these guys know their stuff!

new Glock 19s are around $500 or under. used ones are cheaper and refurbished ones are good deals since they come with full-cap mags. the G19 is small enough that it's easy to carry but big enough that it's easy to control and very accurate. just like all glocks they're very reliable and easy to learn to use. you don't have to worry about safeties and the trigger pull is the same every time.

A few choices:

Ruger P-series
Beretta 92FS
used Glock 17, 19, or 26
CZ

Any of these would be a good choice for under $500.

CZ 75

In my opinion, the CZ 75 shoots better than most of the 800-900 Sig models. Best damn gun out there at the sub 500 price level. A close runner up is the Ruger P95!

Why not a SIG

If you look hard enough, you can find a SIG Classic for $500.00 or less. I just purchased a P225 for 450.00 and have seen NIB 225, and 226 for that matter for around $500.00.

YOU HAVE TO LOOK...MAYBE ON THE INTERNET!!!

Most gunstores will not have these price points

If SIG is not your flavor, Ruger P-series are good guns, and the Glocks are great guns if you can get used to the odd grip angle.

Glock 19. In my opinion, it's their best package of capacity (if you want to pony up for the standard-capacity mags), size, and shootability. Depending on where you live, you should EASILY be able to get one under $500. Mine would have been $459 retail, but I worked at the shop where I bought it at the time of purchase so I won't tell you what I actually paid. :D

I'd also toss in votes for the CZ-75 and the Ruger P95. I think the CZ is possibly the best overall value in handguns, period. The Ruger P95 would be toward the top as well. I can't point either of them naturally, so for me they aren't a good fit. The Glocks DO point for me, so I own a couple of them.

You just might find a used Beretta 92 in that price range. I don't like them, but it might work for you.

Bob's Standard Advice: Try several different models. Rent them or borrow them from friends, but shoot as many different ones that fit your criteria as you can before you make up your mind. I personally don't buy a gun just to "try it out", and then trade it for something else later. You almost always end up costing yourself money by going that route.

If you want something that's new, and that is top shelf, you're probably limited to Glock, Ruger, and CZ. In my opinion, that's not a bad thing at all.

$500 for a 9mm does leave things pretty wide open. In fact new Glocks can be bought for less if you shop. CZ-75/85 is an excellent pistol. If you like the SIG P225 or P239 they can be had NIB for under $500 as well. You could just about buy two HS2000's. If you want a concealable carry gun most of the Kahrs can be bought for that as well, even the relatively new P9 for $479. If you want used that even opens up more possibilities. While I am not a fan Beretta, Taurus, Ruger, and S&W all have strong followings and each offer pistols in your price range.

SIG for $500? I don't follow their prices, but wow ...

Otherwise, consider Ruger's KP95DC. It has as many loyal suporters as any other pistol. It can't be too much bigger than the SIG.

Maybe spend the extra dough on ammo or a good holster?

IMO the best compact 9mm for target and CC is the SIG 239. If you are set on spending $500 go out and try the glock 19, then go try & buy the Sig P239. You can get one brand new for $520. Used for about $400.

You can get the P239 NIB for $429 in .40 S&W from KY Imports in Louisville, Ky. It is also available in 9mm from Bachman Pawn & Gun in Dallas, Tx for $449.

Back