9mm Shotgun

roy reali

I went to a gun show today. It wasn't much of a show, but one item got my attention. It was a 9mm, not a handgun, a shotgun.

It was a single shot, bolt action shotgun. It looked alot like a single shot rimfire. It is German made. It shoots 9mm ammo. The guy selling this gun had two different length shotshells for it along with a single "ball" load. I was tempted. I realize that this firearm would probably make the short list of most useless guns, but it would have been different.

What can you tell me about this shotgun?

Do a search on 9mm Flobert or garden guns. That's just about what they're good for - chasing vermin out of the garden. They aren't useless, they still make them.

Winchester made one 80 years ago or so.

www.oldammo.com/july04.htm

"The Flobert cartridge was developed in 1845, its design being based essentially on a round lead ball inserted into a percussion cap. The cases of the earliest examples were tapered at the head to hold them in place for firing. The Flobert cartridge provided the inspiration for Daniel Wesson when he developed his No. 1 pistol cartridge in 1858, referred to eventually by its more recognizable name, the .22 short rimfire.Wesson added the distinct rim which became the accepted norm for all metallic cartridges that followed. The raised headstamps shown in the two pictures that follow are from 9mm Flobert cartridges in my collection."

John

The Winchester Model 36 was quite nicely made. A single shot bolt action.

Here's an ad for one on Guns America:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/976963352/Guns-For-Sale/Gun-Auctions/Rifles/Winchester-Rifles-Modern-Bolt-Auto-Single/Single-Shot/Model_36_Winchester_bolt_action_9mm_Shotgun.htm

The only problem is...

Figuring out which shotshell your gun is chambered for.

Winchester introduced their own proprietary shotshell along with the Model 36. It was a rimfire. It was loaded from about 1920 (gun introduced) to about 1932.

There have been several European 9mmish shotguns made over the years, some taking the Winchester shell, some taking proprietary shells.

And, to REALLY screw the pooch, some of the so-called 9mm shotguns were chambered for other similar, but distinctly different, center and rimfire rounds.

re: Mike Irwin

Thanks to both responders.

The gun I saw looked similar to one provided by your link. However, it was German made. At least that was what the guy told me and all the writing on the firearm was in German. He even had several boxes of ammo for with writing in German. The gun's condition appeared good.

I was tempted by it. Sometimes I'll buy a gun with little or no real use, but it is "different". Different appeals to me.

It would make an interesting conversation piece and novelty. But don't be fooled by the term "9mm" into using 9mm pistol ammunition, most of which (if it chambered) would be too powerful for the type of gun often used for the 9mm shotgun shell.

Jim

Back