9mm revolvers

sox

Is the .380 acp readily useable in a 9mm revolver? Just curious since the round isn't dependent on case lenght for chambering as it is in the autos.

I have been told that it has a slightly larger outer diameter, which means no.

The .380 ACP is both shorter and SMALLER in diameter than the 9mm Luger and will drop too far into a 9mm Luger chamber. If fired, the case would bulge because even though the diameters are close at the case mouth, the 9mm Luger is a tapered case, where the .380 ACP (9mm Short) is straight.

Jim

Well...

Actually both cartridges use bullet diameters of .355", so the chamber throat, forcing cone and bore won't present any problems.

If the revolver uses the rim of the cartridge, like my S&W 547, or a moon clip, like my Ruger SP-101, to establish head-space, the .380 will not enter the chamber any farther than a 9mm so that shouldn't be a problem.

The case of the 9mm is, very slightly, tapered and so the rear-most part of the .380 case might bulge slightly, possibly even rupture though the chances are poor. Sticky extraction is a better bet.

To answer your question: The .380 is most likely "usuable" in a 9mm revolver but not advisable.

Solid 9x19, thanks. Scratch that idea. I don't know how many times I have come close to blowing myself up. Probably my most famous "dangerous" concept was to launch some of the .38 treasury load out of an airweight. It took a while to get the answer but thank God I waited.

The .380 is usable in at least one revolver, the Phillips & Rogers Medusa. Unlike other automatic rounds that I have tried in this revolver, (9x19, 9x21, .38 super) it shoots approximately 2 inches low at a range of 50 feet. The .380's work in my Medusa, but they usually average 1 or 2 failures to ignite (out of 6 rounds) in my Medusa cylinder equipped S&W 686. My recommendation is NOT to use .380s in anything other than a .380 auto.
Bubba

Back