9mm revolver

bullbarrel

I have two handguns so far - a CZ 75B Mil in 9mm and a CZ 70 in .32 acp - neither of which are ideal concealed carry pistols. I feel that my next handgun purchase should be a hammerless revolver for possible CCW, and I was thinking about getting it in 9mm, since I already have a 9mm pistol. This would make buying ammunition simpler as I have less calibers to worry about.

I would like to get opinions on 9mm caliber in revolvers - lighter recoil, flash than .38 Special?

To anyone who has a 9mm revolver, I would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks.

I have a 9 MM ruger SP101, which weighs about 25 ounces. The recoil is stiffer than 357 or 38 special out of similar revolvers. I believe that 9 MM is considered a more effective round than 38 special, which is bigger, heavier, and more expensive. Recoil will always be stiffer from a revolver than from an auto of the same weight IMO. The moving slide absorbs some of the recoil energy.

That said, I see nothing wrong with 9 MM revolvers for carry or self-defense. The 9 MM is an efficient and inexpensive round which doesn't really equate to the common calibres of revolver ammo. The moon clips make loading and retrieving spent shells very convenient. They are merely light-weight, cheap speed loaders. But it makes more sense to me to shoot 9 MM out of lighter autos, which can hold more rounds than revolvers. I consider 9 MM and 45 ACP revolvers fun novelty items, rather than fundamental items for CCW. Hey, but that's just me!

Drakejake

There have been quite a number of thread on this subject in The Revolver Forum in the past couple of months. (I've responded to most of them.)

I don't have time to write right now, but if you do a search on "940", "9mm", "9x19" or "547" in this forum, you should get a lot of info. Enjoy!

The 9mm in a revolver is very little different in power from a reasonably hot .38, cost of cheap ammo aside. The normal reason given for wanting a 9mm revolver is ammunition compatibility with a 9mm pistol, but this is somewhat reduced if the revolver ammo is in moon clips and the auto pistol ammo in magazines.

Jim

You know,

I have read, in gun magazines, that the 9mm bests the .38+p in a revolver... while reading BB posts that say such is not true.

I guess I'll just have to take a couple of my 9mm revos and a couple .38 revos out back to test across the chrono.

Perhaps the day after Christmas... more later.

The S&W 940 revolver is a winner if you can find one. They are not made anymore. The full moon clips are a bit of a pain, but not too bad to work with. Having a 9mm revolver to go with your CZ75 makes for a good choice. Best. Watch-Six

I chrono'd my 940 compared to a 3" mod 65 and the 940 beat the .38 spec loads and many of the .357 loads as well. Keep in mind that the mod 65 also had an extra inch of barrel too.

The 940 is fine. If you're careful with the moon clips and don't bend them they'll last forever. I've got 10. I keep 5 loaded and have the other five in reserve. I chrono'd mine (2") with 124 grain standard velocity years ago and it wasn't much lower velocity than out of my autos, which puts it a couple of hundred fps faster than any production 125 grain .38 made out of a snubby. Anybody know why S&W dropped them from production? I heard somewhere that some law enforcement agencies had tried them but had problems with keeping the moon clips in good shape. My first one was stolen and I argued with the insurance guy for a while to convince him it was a 9mm revolver - not an automatic. When I had the settlement check and went looking for a replacement, they were already out of production, I tried a 442 for a while but felt underpowered with the .38 in a 2" pistol, and eventually found another 940 NIB at a gun show. Traded the 442 and some cash for it. Felt great to have my 940 back! It is definitely a fast reload, the weight of the 5 cases together with the moon clip make them fall out of the cylinder easily with no cases requiring individual attention and the new "load" is pretty easy to insert. Wish I'd been able to locate a 3", but I feel fortunate to have located my 2" NIB as I never though I'd see one again.

My sister has, and likes, a Ruger SP-101 in 9mm. Don't believe they are made any more, nor do I know, off the top of my head, of any current production-made 9mm revolver.

You may be better off with a Kahr or Baby Glock if you really want a 9mm CCW gun. Other than that, you're looking at a .357 or .38.

The 9mm is a very efficient cartridge - doesn't lose too much on a short barrel. I don't know about 38 special, but a .357 needs about 4" at least to be efficient.

9mm *&* Revolver

A lose friend has a 940 in 9mm and he won't part with it. carries in his pants pockets (actually he has 2 of them) I have fired it on occosion and its a neat little gun. Can be a bit hart to fins but worth it. He shoots +p+ federals out of his.

Ruger also made a number of Speed Six revolvers in 9mm. I had one a few years back and let a friend:rolleyes:talk me out of it. It also used full moon clips and was a super gun. Also, if I'm not mistaken, Ruger made up some Service Six 4" revolvers for delivery to a French police department. I have heard some of those were never shipped and remain in the USA.

jmlv:

"Can be a bit hart to fins but worth it. "

Could you elaborate? I'm not making fun of your spelling but I'm curious what you meant.

Back