9mm Revolver Question

Gpappy

I have seen postings that talk about a S&W 547 in 9mm. Does this use the moon clips like the 45 ACP S&W 625? I started shooting IDPA not too long ago and thought I would use my 625 but they told me that it would have to be less than a 4" barrel and mine is 5". Does anyone have a good source of information on the 547 and maybe a picture? How rare is it?
Thanks
Greg

Extractor is altered to work with the rimless case. No clips. Works just like a regular rimmed case revolver.

Not a lot of em around for sale, they seem to appear when one isn't lookin for one. $300 ought to get a really nice one once found. Last year saw a LNIB with box, papers, cleaning kit etc go for $250 out the door. I was snoozin and missed it.

Unless you are hung up on the 9X19 cartridge, why not get a 19 or 586 in 4". Easier to find and otherwise pretty much the same gun and price range. Yeah, I know L frame and K frame.

Sam

C.R.Sam
Thanks for the reply. I am not really hung up on any particular caliber, only the idea of the moon clips which tend to speed reloads. I like my 625, but the 5 inch keeps me from using it for competition. I was hoping that there was another caliber which used the moon clips but in a 4" barrel.
Regards
Geg

You may shoot your 5" M625 in IDPA SSR until October 26th when the minimum length will be reduced to 4". There is no requirement for it to be less than 4". You can enter the Nationals October 2nd with it if you want to, the rule change does not take effect until after that.

Quoting from the rules on IDPA.com:

STOCK SERVICE REVOLVER DIVISION

Any revolver of 9mm/.38 Special Caliber or larger with a barrel length of 5" or less. NOTE: Effective 10-26-02 the maximum barrel length will be reduced to 4”

Then you could get your barrel professionally shortened. One source is:
http://www.sdmfabricating.com/Packages.html
I have no experience with them, just saw their service mentioned on Pistolsmith.com Their price of $200 to cut, crown, and put on a Weigand ramp for interchangeable blades does not seem out of line. Sure cheaper than a new gun.

Unless you just WANT a new gun. I have seen exactly ONE 646 .40 cal clipgun in use, but several 610s being shot with "shorts". S&W will be making the PC .45 Miculek Special in 4" some time this year. Wait and see what else comes out of the SHOT show next week.

And when you find one, you'll buy it and want more. They're like Mosin Nagant rifles for me. Or potato chips.

I've had a 547 for eighteen years. Every time I walk into a gun store or gunshow there is that creepy gnawing feeling in the back of my mind that I must find another. It is like craving another potatoe chip but on a larger scale. I would have to call it lust.

A YES vote here!

If'n you can find one, get it! It is well worth eating oatmeal for however deep the damage to your budget is. My next wishlist purchase will be a five shot .45 acp snubby, should a company add that to their product line.

?

Do tell, Mr. Watson? Will keep eyes open for that develepment. T'would be such a fine addition to me collection, it would.

Dan Wesson is supposed to be releasing a 9mm revolver, but their web site had no information last time I checked.

I'm also looking for another 547, but mine will not reload as fast as a 9mm moon clip setup.

Bill

9mm revolvers

I seem to remember Ruger making their SP-101 in 9mm a few years back. I have seen them rarely at local gun shows. Just like the first .357 SPs -- Rare with that '125gr only' limitation. I think they were made about the same time -- ~10 yrs ago.

:o Oops, you were looking at full size revolvers, sorry! :o

Yes, Ruger has made the SP101 in 9mm...but try to find one!
A better idea...at least to my way of thinking...is to find a Speed Six or Service Six in 9mm...six-shots, AND "Full-moon" clips ARE available for it--the "Cat's Meow" IF you want a 9mm revo, IMHO!!!....mikey357

KY Imports has 9mm S&W 940's listed in very good cond...for 259.99 $.....2 1/8" 6 shot......just for those in need.

Shoot well

940s are 5-shot J frames.

The 547s, on the K-frame, are 6-shot.

The relatively few Model 19s chambered in 9mm, a forerunner of the Model 547, are also 6-shot.

Back