9mm range brass unusual

These two 9mm cases were in some range brass. Has anybody seen these kinds of cases? It would be interesting to know where they came from and why they are configured the way they are.

Attachments

• 20200528_220503.jpg
    20200528_220503.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 177
  • 20200528_220426.jpg
    20200528_220426.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 151
I've never seen anything like that. What comes to mind is to ask if the case unscrews from the head. I wonder if it's a "convertible" case, where you use the same head but you can screw on different length tubes to get 9x19, 9x23, .38 Super, maybe 9x18, possibly even .380 ACP.

Okay, so that's dumb. What's your best guess? :)

What sort of range was it - indoor, outdoor? Do you know if it used by only civilian shooters, or also by military or police?

huh?

That's exactly what it is, and I've never seen or heard of them either. The link expounds that one case was reloaded 32 times plus with no issues.

With regular 9mm brass literally everywhere, I don't see the advantage.

With regular 9mm brass literally everywhere, I don't see the advantage.

Same here. I tend to "hang out" at the indoor range I'm a member of, especially if I see someone shooting new 9mm ammo. You'd be surprised at the number of people that come to the range, shoot a box of new 9mm in about 15 minutes, then pack up and go home. If they start sweeping it up for disposal in the brass bucket, I ask them if they reload. 9 out of 10 times the person doesn't reload. I offer to sweep up their brass for them. They always say sure. Then I keep the brass. I only reload it 3 or 4 times then discard it. Free once fired 9mm is too abundant to worry about squeezing every possible reload out of it. I get .45acp and .38spcl the same way, but not as common as 9mm.

Thanks for the replies. My nephew has the brass, and I have no clue where he got it. He sent me the pics and sinceThe Firing Line is a great resource it was intuitive to ask here. I'll send him the info and see if he knows the location where it was from. I assume he collected it at a public shooting range on the Pawnee Grasslands.

Thanks again!

advantages

Mr. 74A95 thanks for the link. Now I know a bit more about those curiosities.

For one, you can recover them with a magnet. And, their cheaper than brass by maybe $30 dollars per 1000. Shellshock dies are aptly named, going price in the article is $100 bucks plus.

The guy that lost them must have left his magnet at home.

They made the brass for the Seismic ammo, junk, though the base cap is colored red for those rounds. Did a video on that stuff a while ago.

Sounds like another solution in search of a problem ...

I especially love the part about needing a spring-loaded resizing die to avoid either pulling the rim off the case head, or pulling the case head out of the case body.

74A95 said:
I really wish people would stop making/using this comment.
Why? That's exactly how this strikes me.

I don't see any drawbacks to using conventional, brass cases for handgun ammunition. The technology has been around for more than a century, it works, it's reliable, it's predictable, it's affordable, and reloaders can use anyone's dies on it.

This stuff, on the other hand, is proprietary, requires proprietary (and VERY expensive) dies, and if reloaded incorrectly is easily damaged irreparably. The fact that it can be picked up with a magnet doesn't (to me) offset the negatives.

Sure, it's new, it's different, one might even say that it's innovative. None of that screams out "Better!"

I would be concerned about the possibility of the case separating and lodging in my chamber while extracting.

Another concern would be gas sealing. Since brass is more ductile, it will seal against the chamber walls better than nickel alloy.
I noticed this when I was shooting steel case Wolf ammo.

I'll stick with conventional brass.

Back