9mm practice ammo

RamonA Dones

I use Federal Hydra-Shok 124g as my defense ammo. Which fmj practice ammo would give me closer recoil and feeling as my defensive ammo: 115g, 124g or 147g. May sound silly but please advise me.

I shoot good old CCI Blazer 115 gr FMJ which
which runs for $4.99 on sale to $5.99 regular in TX.

I carry the Federal round. I can't really tell the difference and have had zero problems with Blazer. In fact, last week I was out Glocking and accidentally shot one of my carry mags along with the Blazer mags and didn't notice it.

I was quite annoyed to shoot out the expensive stuff. On the other hand, it's good to shoot out your carry ammo once in awhile.

I practice with 115gr Denel PMP or 115gr S&B's. I haven't decided which I like best yet. They both are good ammo,and my pistol likes both too :) :) My gun does not like the Russian stuff though :(

[This message has been edited by denfoote (edited January 11, 2000).]

Shoot the same weight bullet when you practice as in the carry ammo... Feel and point of impact should be roughly the same.

For cheap stuff, I shoot PMP, Denel and Sellier $ Bellot. All three shoot about hte same, and I get whatever's the cheapest when I shoot it. (I like S&B .45 ammo better).
Denel is very clean, S&B is very dirty. (I think Denel is made by the same people who make PMP, but it seems to shoot cleaner.)

After a number of squibs (5 in one lot), seeing many misfires and hard primers, etc., I no longer shoot Blazer. (Its the range ammo where I shoot, they're having a lot of problems, nowadays, with that ammo.) Blazer's Quality Control seems to have gone to hell...

[This message has been edited by Walt Sherrill (edited January 11, 2000).]

Someone on Glock Talk has pointed out that Federal 124 gr FMJ travels at the same speed as the 124 gr Hydra Shok, and would therefore be good practice rounds.

Personally, a) I have found no economical source of 124 gr FMJ, and b) I appear to be very insensitive to cartrideges, so I use Federal American Eagle 115 gr FMJ. And the 124 gr Hydra Shok for defense.

If anything, I notice more differece between different manufacturers 115 gr FMJ (Winchester, S&B, Speer, Federal) than I do between Federal bullet weights.

In terms of advice, if you want to pay for 124 gr FMJ, go for it. If you can't tell the difference, then go for another (presumably cheaper) weight.

------------------
2cats

Glock 19
Colt Police Positive .38 Special
Smith & Wesson Model 41
Browning Hi-Power Standard (9mm)

hey 2cats, you may look at Cole Distributors and try the IMI 124gr 9mm FMJ. It's 139$ per 1000, and that's delivery included.

I use the Speer Gold Dot JHP for carry and I normally use the Winchester"white box" 115 FMJ for practice. The past couple of time I have been to the range I have used the Speer Lawman 115 TMJ, box of 50 is $8.00 but they are really super.

Back