9mm on strippers

dahermit

One of my Amish neighbor boys came over and gave me so assorted old handgun ammo including .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .25 Auto, .32 S&W Western Lubaloy, and a box of curious 9mm on eight round stripper clips. The bullets are shinny silver colored like those I used to buy in the early sixties as WWII surplus.
I am curious about the 9mm on strippers. The only 9mm that comes to mind that used stripper clips was the Broomhandle Mauser.
What other 9mm used eight round strippers?

Steyr Hahn 1912. Fixed magazine in grip, stripper loaded.
Originally in 9x23 Steyr, when the Germans took over they had them made or converted for 9mm P.

CF issued Sterling SMG's with 10 round mags to armour crew types. No strippers though.
Anyway, the key here is the stuff being milsurp. Armies everywhere tend to do decidedly peculiar things. Usually due to budgets.

Nope, sorry, I was right with the Czech Vz.23 SMG. it uses a 24 round mag, using 3 8 round strippers and a mag loader on the side of the receiver. The rounds have a Czech 1951 headstamp, and are loaded 40 rounds to the box.

Why load 40 round boxes for a 24 round magazine?
My early days with a Luger, I shot Canadian ammo 32 to the box, a STEN load.

32 rnds of 9mm is also the mag load for the MP 38 & MP 40 SMGs. A few others too.

The one I could never figure out was .303 British. The SMLE holds 10 but atm least some of the ammo came in 48rnd boxes.

German 8mm Mauser was 15 rnds in a box, 3, five round strippers. We used 20 rnds rifle, 50 pistol. Except for pre packed Garand clips.

Nope, sorry, I was right with the Czech Vz.23 SMG. it uses a 24 round mag, using 3 8 round strippers and a mag loader on the side of the receiver. The rounds have a Czech 1951 headstamp, and are loaded 40 rounds to the box.
Yes, there are forty rounds (loaded on strioppers) in the box.

"Why load 40 round boxes for a 24 round magazine?"

Because sometimes ammo packaging is dictated by the machinery available to do it, the containers in place to pack it, and the ability for it to fit in shipping containers.

"The one I could never figure out was .303 British. The SMLE holds 10 but atm least some of the ammo came in 48rnd boxes."

That was bulk box loading of loose ammo that could either be used for .303 rifles after loading into strippers or for loading into Bren gun magazines.

South Africa also loaded 48 round boxes. I have several.

Back