9mm HST with blue primer?

wild cat mccane

Hey all,

Just received to boxes of 9mm HST in 124gr +P. I opened the box to blue primer dots...kinda sloppy around the primer.

I have 20 boxes of HST from 3 years back and forward, none with anything showing.

Is this the new norm or did I get a poor batch?

Thank you!

I have occasionally bought 9MM ammo that had sealed primers, and didn't before, and later lots didn't. Bought some normally sealed 9MM NATO once that did not have sealed primers. I currently have some Federal 115 JHP 9MM with blue primer sealant. Without a photo, I'd suspect the blue is sealant...

Federal responded that they use red, clear, and blue sealant. They said this was fine.

I don't know...pretty sloppy for $40 bucks a box...Some of it is filling in the lettering stamping

h2OuKksb.jpg

FWIW, I have used Winchester Q4318 9MM NATO, with red sealant applied just as liberally. And some other ammo, don't recall the manufacturer, with liberally applied green sealant. There were no issues encountered in using either...

If you’re so worked up about it I offer for you to send it to me. I’ll take it off your hands for ya.

The way that factories install primers in the manufacturing process is more or less perfect!
In shooting factory, and Gov-Spec. Ammunition for over 60 years, I have yet to see an improper primer installation. And my Federal 147g HST (Thanks Son!) 9mm, no sign of sealant? I have no worries on detonation for the 16 rounds sitting in my Glock 19.
One little worry wart check I do, all rounds to be installed in carry pistol, and spare G17 magazine. Are dropped into the dissembled barrel, upend barrel, to drop into my hand.

It's just a primer sealant, pretty much everyone uses them these days, but some use clear sealant so it's more difficult to spot.

I just got some 7.62x25 in the mail yesterday which has bright emerald-coloered sealant on the primers, which actually looks quite cool to me.

Yeah all of the Federal packaging has been redone, as best as I can tell. The American Eagle and Champion boxes I’ve bought have had new designs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I just got some 7.62x25 in the mail yesterday which has bright emerald-coloered sealant on the primers, which actually looks quite cool to me."

Is it Fiocchi, or something new and exciting for 7.62 Tokarev collectors???

yeah. Sent Federal pics and they said it was fine.

I'm going to go out on a limb here.

The sealant is now made blue and smeared all over the round for the "Law Enforcement" exaggeration on the new packaging. It's marketing.

It's very clear this sealant is being put on too liberally. Like, it's a total mess with spill over into the stamping.

I know others use sealant. None are this messy.

This is very common on ammo produced all over the world. There is no need for sealant to be neatly applied or for that process to be inspected. The more, the merrier. There is no need to be concerned about a bit of color outside the lines, and I highly doubt that it is some kind of marketing ploy.....the color, maybe, but not the "smearing".

Back