9mm hp-38/w231

Shadow9mm

New to HP-38 this powder for 9mm. Went through the sources I had but only got 2 sets of load data that did not match.

124g bullet (measured to ensure no compression)
Hodgins 3.9-4.4
Hornady no listed
Lee 4.4-4.8

Seems odd lee's start is the max for Hodgins. I already tested up to 4.4 with no issues, set to test up to 4.8. does this seem reasonable?

Looking for a full power load that will run like factory ammo, safely and reliably.

I know HP-38 is not the best powder, but I bough 1lb, and have enough left to load another 1000rnds. I'm thinking about HS-6 or CFE Pistol next go around.

9mm data is very sensitive to OAL, so thats why you see so much variation in data.

HP-38 is an excellent choice for 9mm 115's and 124's, it's (along with it's twin W231) my favorite powder for 9mm.

Make sure you seating depth matches the data you are using and you'll be fine.

I use Lyman data as much as possible for 9mm, Hodgdon's website for a backup.

FWIW, I run 4.2 grain HP-38/W231 with a 124 XTP at 1.080" OAL, a medium power target load.

I just purchased 8# of 231, will work up loads in 9MM with it just like any other powder. No magic or secrets here. Plated or coated bullets, use cast data or starting jacketed data.
Will also use it for 45 and 38 and reduced loads in .44.

HP-38 is an excellent powder for 9mm.

Please take note that the only load for HP-38 and a 124-grain bullet is for a Berry's hollow-base round-nose bullet. I don't know what bullet you are using, but it's probably not that one, and probably not a hollow-base. But these numbers are in line with Hodgdon's numbers. I think I would ignore whatever Lee's book shows.

Lyman's 50th has a load for a 124-gr JHP and Winchester 231 (which is the same powder as HP-38): 3.8 - 4.5 grains, at a C.O.A.L. of 1.060".

Lyman's also lists a 125-grain JHP with Winchester 231: 3.9 - 4.4 grains, at a C.O.A.L. of 1.075".

Unfortunately, Lyman's doesn't tell us whose 124-gr and 125-gr bullets they tested, so there's no way to do the math from the C.O.A.L. and calculate their seating depth. And that's what affects pressure.

Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca

Unfortunately, Lyman's doesn't tell us whose 124-gr and 125-gr bullets they tested, so there's no way to do the math from the C.O.A.L. and calculate their seating depth. And that's what affects pressure.
Yes they do.
74A95,
Please let me know which edition of Lyman's you have that lists the specific 124 or 125 jacketed bullet they used. None of my three different editions list the specific bullet.

To the OP: IMO win 231/ HP-38 is ideal for std velocity 9mm ammo. Just pay careful attention to the min and max charges and OAL. pressure builds up very quickly in such a small case, and it is easy to get to max pressure with only very slight changes.

74A95 said:
Yes they do.
Where?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC00335.JPG
    DSC00335.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 2,436
  • DSC00337.JPG
    DSC00337.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 2,423
  • DSC00338.JPG
    DSC00338.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 2,422
74A95 said:
I can't find the 30% pressure information in that article.

...And neither can I, now. Something has changed in the format since I first saw it, and my memory is of an introductory paragraph that included that information, which was the whole reason I bookmarked it as a reference. Either that, or I've lost my marbles.

What I can tell you is that if I do a quick magnitude confirmation with QuickLOAD, a 180-grain Barnes X over 100% load density of IMR4895 gets a pressure estimate for the .308 Win default case of 60,226 psi, while substituting a Lee 180-grain lead RN bullet at the same COL gets me a pressure estimate of 39,167 psi or about 2/3 of the Barnes pressure, or 50% higher if you go the other way. I always take the QL absolute pressure estimate value with a grain of salt, but it does pretty well about ratios, and this one confirms a 30% difference would be a reasonable finding for a larger case cartridge over the same range of bullet construction. ln any event, Jone's advice to always start with the bottom load is confirmed as necessary, and starting with data for your particular bullet is always best.

...And neither can I, now. Something has changed in the format since I first saw it, and my memory is of an introductory paragraph that included that information, which was the whole reason I bookmarked it as a reference. Either that, or I've lost my marbles.

What I can tell you is that if I do a quick magnitude confirmation with QuickLOAD, a 180-grain Barnes X over 100% load density of IMR4895 gets a pressure estimate for the .308 Win default case of 60,226 psi, while substituting a Lee 180-grain lead RN bullet at the same COL gets me a pressure estimate of 39,167 psi or about 2/3 of the Barnes pressure, or 50% higher if you go the other way. I always take the QL absolute pressure estimate value with a grain of salt, but it does pretty well about ratios, and this one confirms a 30% difference would be a reasonable finding for a larger case cartridge over the same range of bullet construction. ln any event, Jone's advice to always start with the bottom load is confirmed as necessary, and starting with data for your particular bullet is always best.

Sure, because they are VERY different types of bullets.

How about we keep it to 9mm stuff? The same caution would apply to a all copper Barnes versus and jacketed or lead bullet. The all copper bullets are very long compared to their same-weight jacketed or lead bullets.

I sit corrected.

So by looking up the specs on those bullets, one can take the listed C.O.A.L. and the case length, and calculate the seating depth. Then use that seating depth to compare with what the seating depth will be using some other bullet at some other (or the same) C.O.A.L. And that will offer some guidance as to whether or not the "new" bullet and C.O.A.L. is going to result in higher pressure (less case volume).

If you’re going to try HS6 later on just be aware, it likes to run at pressure with heavier bullets. It’s at its best with 147gr bullets and using a small pistol magnum primer. I use these in my Carbine and they are just marvelous, run nice and clean with good velocity and accuracy. As I was working up the load it ran dirtier at the lower end of the scale, but at a certain point it started running very clean and accuracy all of a sudden improved as well.

Without giving out big scary numbers, let me just say that the high side of Hodgdon/low side of Lee was factory equivalent with HP38 and RP 124 FMJ at the OAL I was using at the time.

I am now loading 124 coated and less powder gets me there.

Back