9mm -- CZ, HK and Glock....which one?

Kwyjibo

Inactive
So I have finally narrowed down my options a bit...I've shot mostly 40 calibers, but decided that for the gun I buy I want to go with a 9mm. Realistically I will never get a CCW being in California, so this will basicaly be a gun to take to the range to just do some shooting...As far as home defense goes, I'll just get myself a few +P+ rounds.

I've narrowed it down to a Glock 19, HK USP 9 Compact, or the CZ 100.

I've shot a few glocks, and like the feel of them, but there is something keeping me from getting one...

As far as the HK and CZ go I have yet to shoot them...Assuming the HK works for me I would just about jump on the chance to get one....

So I got a few questions for you guys.
Some of these are California specific.
  • Can I get an HK in Double Action Only (I believe that is Variant 7) in Ca.?
  • I don't see the CZ100 on the California DOJ-Certified Handgun list. Is that because it is new, or just impossible to get in Ca.?
  • Will keeping bullets loaded in a magazine ruin the spring, or will it last?

I would also like to hear some reliability issues about the CZ and HK. I am very familiar with Glocks reputation.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Tough choice

I don't care for any of the options (I think there are better choices available). But, given your list, I will respond only to the three choices. The CZ 100 would be my last choice (polymer CZs don't appeal to me). The CZ 100 is not on the CA list because it hasn't passed yet (or wasn't submitted in the first place). I would say either get the Glock or the HK. Rent both out and buy whatever fits your needs better.

Keeping bullets in the magazine will probably not hurt the spring tension. Of course, it is never a bad idea to rotate your magazines.

As far as reliability, HK and Glock are nearly equal. Both are very reliable. One thing I do notice with Glocks though is that they are less tolerant of "limp wristing" than most pistols. Either way you go though I think reliability will be nearly equal (HK or Glock).

Well, IMO I have to say that out of the three you listed then go with either the H&K or Glock. I carry the H&K USP full size 40 as my duty gun and the compact 40 USP as my off duty gun. My first carry gun was a Glock in 40. Even though I love both for me the H&K is more accurate and is just as reliable if not more. I would prefer the H&K over the Glock though. But what works best for me isn't going to necessarily work for you. Gunreview Webmaster is right try and find a USP in 9mm to rent at a range and then make your decision after that. Let us know which one you get. As for the spring issue that's a hard one to answer. I've heard stories of people finding old 45 or ar mags fully loaded after being stored in a box for several decades and them shooting just fine. I've also read numerous threads that it is the constant loading and unloading of the mags that actually cause the springs to give out quicker.

When its as open ended as this its hard to say which one would be right for you. They are all fine choices by the way, though the CZ 100 I have no personal experience with. Ultimately the only way you'll know for sure is by owning and shooting them all for an extended period of time.

I believe the Glock 19 and HK USP/C are about equal as defense guns go. Both will handle lots of +P ammunition well. In fact the HK's operate better with hotter ammo and will likely have more probs with downloaded reloaded range ammo. What you should focus on is whether you'll prefer the DAO HK or the Glock trigger. Another consideration is the HK will cost the same as a Sig P series and their mags run about $45-50 while Glock's are $20-25. By the way if CA hasn't approved the USP DAO variant you'll have to settle for the DA/SA Variant 1.

If the CZ100 isn't available the proven CZ75 Compact (approved in CA) is I think an even better alternative.

Get the CZ75 9mm. Stay away from the CZ100. The CZ75 is second most accurate OOTB 9mm pistol. Second only to the SIG 210.

Go H&K. The Glock is a good gun, but not all of them have fully supported chambers. It's not a big deal, but why not go with the H&K which is? I own the H&K and have never had a problem with it. My wife managed to limp-wrist the H&K the first day she ever fired a gun, but it has never hiccupped on me (or on her since that day).

CZ hasn't put it's guns in for California approval, so it's moot. They are very good guns for the money, though.

Lemme' try and answer your questions:

HK USP Variant 7 in CA: No it is not on the DOJ approved list buy you can get a V1 and convert it to a V7 afterwards. If you are mechanically inclined you can do it yourself after you buy the parts kit.

Keeping mags loaded won't hurt. In general, what wears springs down are the tension/compression cycles (stretching and compressing them back and forth). If they are left in either state then it won't wear down.

As far as recommendations, I'd go for the HK. I've never had a failure after countless rounds. I've tried many different brands/types of ammo. Deliberately limp-wristing it had no effect. Good ergonomics for my small hands.

The lack of an external safety on the Glock can be desirable or undesirable depending on your point of view.

Rent samples of HK and Glock and see what you like as far as ergonomics goes.

CZ75! Forget the 100. I will not say its crap, because it isnt but the trigger is. The 75 is a great gun. G19 is also good. I personally dont not care for the USP series of pistols.

all are good choice's; but

I would prefer a Sig-Sauer P228 with high capacity magazines. You could obtain one for around the same
price as the H&K.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

If CCW is not an option, many of the Glock 9mm lovers like the G17 and the G34.

The G34 is the most accurate 9mm Glock makes.

The HK P7 is also sweet but not approved in Calif yet. And the only other 9mm of theirs I like is the HKMP5.

CZ are nice but EAA's are just as nice. But it like getting caught riding a moped with your biker buddies. You look soft.

Get a Glock. They are chick magnets. Cz's, Rugers, EAA's nice but plain.

IMHO, I would choose a Sig, that said:

IMO, Of the 3 you mentioned, I would buy in this order.

HK
CZ
G19

I suggest you buy the gun you find most comfortable; all your choices are good.

My 9's are all EAA Witnesses....'cause that's what I like best.

I'm with Cobraman:

1. CZ-75 - beautiful in every respect.
2. Glock - perfectly engineered and quality product overall.
99. HK USP9 - not a bad pistol with very bad/heavy DA trigger pull, so-so SA, terribly expensive magazines and overpriced at least $250...Good design and so-so quality
of assembly (if you guys could see who is working at most
of German plants right now...I did see that, was in Germany 8 times in 10 years).

You can't go wrong with H&K, Sig, or Glock. I've enjoyed guns from all these fine companies. I can't warm up to SA/DA triggers. I love the Glock's trigger, but my favorite gun must be purchased from a private party, should you be in California..which you are..that is the H&K P7M_. Try to shoot a P7 series gun. It has a fine trigger, amazing accuracy due to the fixed barrel and a great safety system. If you get Glock, the 34 is setup for target and competition. The longer barrel and lighter trigger (3 1/2# vs. 5#) make for a really nice gun.

HK

I have a few USPs and all of them are wonderful. My USP .45 had one failure to feed out of a few thousand rounds. Never could get it to repeat the misfeed though. My Glock 19 had about 3 FTFs with the 10-round POS mags. 15-rounders have never failed to feed. Don't have a CZ and don't really like the looks.

All are very good choices. I personally love the HK stuff. I cannot shoot a Glock worth a damn so I would never buy one.

As was stated before, rent them if you have the facility to do so and buy whichever one you like the best.

Back