9mm carbine for SD -- JHPs or FMJs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikerbill

I have a Hi-Point 9mm carbine and enjoy shooting it a lot ... it's been totally reliable and I'm thinking about making it my home defense long gun, along with the 1911 I keep in my nightstand.

Here's my question ... since JHPs are designed to be fired from handguns, they (I believe) are made to expand at handgun velocities -- 800-1,000 FPS or slightly faster. I'm guessing that from a long barrel, those velocities will climb dramatically. Will JHPs be more or less effective from my carbine? Should I be planning on using FMJs with the carbine, given my concern for overpenetration with a solid bullet traveling at well over 1,000 FPS, or can I load JHPs and be confident they will work at the elevated speeds they'll be traveling from the longer carbine barrel?

Hornady Critical Duty- their LE ammunition, is best suited for carbines. Critical Defense is optimized for compact carry weapons.

http://www.hornady.com/support/critical-duty-and-critical-defense

Is over-penetration a concern? Sure...
But there can certainly be times when you would want the assailant's cover- to be turned into concealment. JMO, but barrier penetration ability ain't a bad thing.

I have no interest in safety slugs. If I need to kill the BG through a drywall partition, I want to be able to do it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back