9mm Bullet Selection

Nathan

For all you 9mm aficionados….How are you selecting your CCW bullet weight, bullet, etc?

115’s open up but really too fast which limits penetration and can split the bullet apart

147’s are slow enough that many open weakly.

124’s can be just right, but not always.

How else do you choose?

I use 9bp 115 like M. Ayoob said to back in the 20th.
There are faster loads and more expansive bullets, but I am confident these will shoot reliably and accurately.

I’m sorry. What is a “9bp?” What is “the 20th?”

For clarity, I ask this question because standard JHP’s in 115gr seem to turn themselves in gel and start to fall apart. This limits expansion in general. 147gr JHP’s look pretty good at 5” velocities, but in 3-3.5” velocities, expansion is very limited, like 1 in 5 do not expand in gel.

I choose 124’s. I am pretty selective on those. …..using Federal HST’s now at low pressure.

As I look it all over again, maybe I’m being a bit picky, but I just wonder what other folks do..

Last edited:
I've always trusted a 124 gr HP at around 1200-1250 fps. That's what NATO specs call for with a 124 gr FMJ. And that's within 50 fps of the real-world speeds 357 mag loads from the 1980's were getting when 357 mag was considered the best option for cops to carry. It's a proven combo.

The 115 gr loads have traditionally been known to over expand and give poor penetration. I suppose there are some newer bullets in that weight range that do better, but 124's have been doing it for a long time and that is what I trust.

I have seen some 147 gr data that looks good to me. Initially 147 gr bullets at around 1000 fps did not expand reliably and that weight earned a poor reputation. But I have seen data showing newer 147 gr HP bullets expanding reliably. At one time the FBI chose that combo based on their testing. Not sure what they are using now.

IMO shot placement and penetration are the 2 most important considerations. If the bullets expand a lot that is a plus, but I'd not give up penetration to get more expansion. I want a bullet that will penetrate heavy winter clothes and light barriers as well.

I've always trusted a 124 gr HP at around 1200-1250 fps. That's what NATO specs call for with a 124 gr FMJ. And that's within 50 fps of the real-world speeds 357 mag loads from the 1980's were getting when 357 mag was considered the best option for cops to carry. It's a proven combo.

357 Mag 125 grain loads produced 1450 fps from a 4" barrel.

I use 115’s and 124’s. Carried 124 grain Golden Saber on duty. I reload mostly XTP and Gold Dot. I had a pet load back in the 80’s - 90’s , 124 gr. JHP over Blue Dot powder, produced just over 1300 fps (and a basketball sized fireball).

Just as a point of reference, the original 9mm Parabellum load was a 124gr at 1050fps from a 4" barrel. Shortly before WWI, the standard load was changed
to a 115gr at 1150 from a 4" barrel.

115’s open up but really too fast which limits penetration and can split the bullet apart

If penetration is inadequate and the bullet splits apart, you're buying the wrong stuff.

147’s are slow enough that many open weakly.

The 147 loads were designed for use in SMGs, primarily suppressed ones, where barrel lengths are significantly longer than duty class handguns.

124’s can be just right, but not always.

Nothing is always "just right" for every possible situation.

I choose what is the most accurate in my gun(s). For example, my 2011 first-generation Ruger® LC9 with its short barrel (3.12") is hands-down most accurate with 147gr ammunition. Consequently, my carry load is Winchester® Defender® 147gr BJHP #S9MMPDB1 standard pressure.

My circa 2021 Taurus® G3C with its 3.2" barrel shoots 115, 124, & 147gr equally well but is most accurate with 124gr ammo. I load it with Federal® Personal Defense® 124gr Punch™ JHP #PD9P1 standard pressure.

My EDC loads are ALWAYS what the gun(s) have shown me are the most accurate.

I have a fairly good e-friend who is a retired police chief and LEO firearms trainer, who survived two gunfights before his retirement. He advocates 147-grain for 9mm. I defer to his experience and expertise.

I have tried most of the different bullets in the main handgun calibers and it's my opinion that the 147+p HST is the very best you can get. The standard pressure is just as good. The 147 Gold Dot is right up there as well. I prefer subsonic ammo for close in defensive use.

I defer to his experience and expertise.

Obviously, it worked for him.

I know of a SE Asia vet, who considered the .45 and the 9mm the same, based on his experiences. He had to defend himself with a .45 one time, and with a 9mm another time. Based on his results they worked the same.

"I shot him twice, he fell down. Both times."

In my personal world, I don't worry about 9mm bullet performance, as the 9mm is not my defensive cartridge of choice. I have or have had Lugers, (P.08s), P.38, Broomhandle Mauser, and in those I generally shoot FMJ, either 115 or 124gr, NO +P, EVER, and have never tried any147s.

Use what ever works best for you.

I've carried several different brands and weights of 9mm JHP over the years including Cor-Bon 125 gr +P JHP, Winchester Ranger 127 gr +P+ T-Series, Federal Punch 124 gr JHP, and Federal 147 gr HST. For the past several years, however, I've favored the Federal 9BPLE 115 gr +P+ loading as I was able to purchase a decent quantity of it at a very good price ($16/50 round box) some years ago. The nose profile of this particular bullets seems to feed very reliably in all my 9mm handguns, the accuracy is more than acceptable, and the various police agencies that used it over the years all seemed quite satisfied with its performance.

Honestly, I don't really worry about it too much as 9mm is no longer one of the calibers I regularly carry or depend on for home defense, but I like to keep at least some defensive ammo around for any caliber I own (assuming defensive ammo is available in said caliber).

I practice and prefer 124s; Speer Lawman TMJ for practice and Speer Gold Dots for serious work
147's were made for subguns originally; 115s were the norm, but I prefer the extra weight

https://le.vistaoutdoor.com/wound_ballistics/load_comparison/load_comparison.aspx

At under 900fps, the 150gr HST "Micro" round performed better than all other options for expansion+penetration on Lucky Gunner. Next up was a 147gr.

I thought the +P HST 147gr was very impressive. Federal discontinued it though.

No 115gr passed Doc Roberts "best defense" test but the all copper barnes bullet.

You're pretty much good to go in the "good" current rounds but the Gold Dot 115gr options. Old stuff like Golden Saber performs great. But we knew it would because it does good in 380 too.

I don't like the XTP load because it's designed to limit expansion which promotes too much penetration. The pedals on XTP aren't designed to massive expanding like HST/Gold Dot. As Hornady states themselves on the XTP website.

Federal Punch was supposed to be a cheaper and less performance than HST. HST has always been cheaper. So Punch makes no sense to me in the current Federal line up. I mean, sense to them because they said it was cheaper and they charge more, no sense to the consumer buying it.

9BPLE is terrible stuff in that it's not skived, not bonded, the bad weight, high pressure. It's the one I'd stay away from on purpose knowing that practically anything would give better results.

Last edited:
I'm quite the fan of 9 mm and the Improvement made through the use of better bullets. My Springfield Armory Hellcat Pro is like a 15 shot 38 Special if you compare the ballistics with 124 Grain bullets. It's much easier to carry a flat 9 mm handgun inside your wristband all day then a big old revolver that only has six shots.

I also like 124 or 125 grain bullets for the most part in 9mm because that is where the iron sights on my handguns are zeroed at 25 and 50 yards.

Back