9mm at 2500 fps?

stagpanther

Decided to take a break from all my rifle shooting and have some handgun fun, haven't really done anything with my lone wolf timberwolf frame since I bought it, and decided to try out some 65 gr inceptor composite bullets. Years ago I had Lone Wolf custom make a 7.5" 9x 25 Dillon barrel for me--I recently called them and asked them if they could make another but they said they have no plans to re-introduce them.

Bummer.

My labradar had a hard time tracking these bullets, sometimes acquiring and sometimes not. Using AC 7 I was getting loads that averaged over 2400 fps, the last load I was able to record was at 2475 fps before I couldn't track any more. No pressure signs or case expansion.

I don't shoot handguns much and my technique sucks--besides which I can't see front or back sites well--so I know a better shooter could achieve much better results. I'm not entirely sure the cermanic composite bullets can handle being driven fast--I have some lehigh bullets coming in and will see if that makes a difference.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 65 inceptor.jpg
    65 inceptor.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 645
  • IMG_1788.JPG
    IMG_1788.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 626
The upper end loads feel about the same as a moderately strong 10mm; but still not as much as a full-power thumper. Mind you I don't do timed full mag dumps--might be different then.

Last edited:
I'm assuming you switched the Labradar over to the rifle setting right?
Of course--it's "grey zone" happens at around 1700 fps where I switch to rifle for pistol cartridges. My unit got blown over the other day while shooting in strong windy conditions--maybe that knocked something loose--I hope not.

I assumed as much but you never know... Mine has issues some days and works just fine other days.
I've been using mine for years--99.9% of the time if it has a problem acquiring it's either due to inappropriate muzzle position or not having the beam in a good "intercept" alignment relative to the target and projectile trajectory. I couldn't live without it now for my reload development. : )

I'm guessing that those bullets have a lower radar signature than solid metal bullets would have.
That's what I'm guessing too--sometimes it will track and log all distances out to the target with the composite bullet--and then the very next shot, without touching or moving anything, spit out a failed to acquire error.

Back