9mm Ar Magazine issue (Colt Style)

Camnus

Hi all, I built the Ar in 9mm for my wife as a birthday present, mostly for less expensive range fun. Been building it for almost a year, picking up parts when I can get a decent price.

Anyways to the issue, I had bought 2, 32rd mags from Palmetto state armory a while back and had an issues with each of them. Testing has been done with snap caps for now, so the first mag, every time the bolt when forward it would grab 2 shells, every time, no matter if there were 2 or 32 in the magazine..

The 2nd mag hand cycled everything fine till the last round. Again no matter how many rounds in the mag it would do the same thing, the last round would flip nose up and the bolt would catch on the hold open. The last shell rolls out easily when the mag ejects.

I thought and still think its probably a mag issue,(wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, heh) so I ordered a 3pack of replacements. I did not do enough research because the mags I ordered from brownells are made by metalform, the same company that made the first ones I ordered. I have to say tho I like the ones from brownells a lot more, very nice slick finish and the follower seems to move more smoothly down the mag.

Anyway the 3 mags from Brownells do the same thing as one of the first mags, the last shell flips up while the bolt catches on the hold open.

I'm stumped for the moment, since the bolt never smashed into the last loose round i'm thinking it should be safe to start shooting live ammo, but I'd like to try and get it running right.

If anyone has any ideas i'd sure appreciate it.

Back