9mm and steel plates

fed168

I have tried to look in the search function, but could not find any info on shooting steel plates with a 9mm. Anyone have information on shooting plates? Bullet weights, any info?

I've used Sellier&Bellot's 115 FMJ for every GSSF match and never have any trouble knocking down the plates...

I do, occaisionally, have trouble hitting them... :D

Plateshooting

I have never had any trouble knocking down the plates with 115gr fmj. I usually use Wolf so I don't lose my reloadable cases. We have some guys that use 9mm carbines and knock over the plates on the rifle range at 60-85 yards.

Never had any problems with 115 FMJ in my glock 19.This was Georgia Arms ammo I used at a class.Plates went down when you hit them.

FMJ will ruin steel plates fast

At the club where I shoot, they only let you shoot unjacketed lead bullets at steel to prevent ricochets and extend the life of the plates.

Regards,

Ledbetter

It's all fun and games until someone gets their eye put out.

If you use the 147 grain hollowpoints, the plates do fall faster which means you finish faster and beat your opponent. If you shoot man to man tournament style. The 32 grains make a big difference especially if you get the round going 1100 fps. Real knockdown power. Power Pistol powder helps.

Never had a plate or heavy forward falling popper stand up to umc 115 gr (341 ft/lbs)or 155 gr silvertips (383ft/lbs) we have a minimum 10 meter distance for steels in IDPA.. it might even be 15 meters.

45's seem to knock plates harder.. but they all fall with a full pressure load. i did see a 38 super SPIN a plate sideways and not knock it over.. but that was a fluke.

Hey Plateshooter...

I've been trying to email you, but keep getting bounces. Would you mind emailing me?

Thanks. :)

(Sorry for the O/T. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread topic...)

No, no, *steel* plates...

With respect, Ledbetter, I have to wonder just what kind of plates your range has?

I regularly shoot .40SW FMJ (155gr and 180gr) and 9mm NATO FMJ (DNL?) at 3/8" mild steel plates, which I bought for about $10 each. These have survived thousands of rounds with no deformation due to handgun bullet impact.

.223 is a different matter..

-z

Back