9mm AMMO FOR LEO/CCW

Runner

I am looking for the optimum 9mm round for LEO/CCW use out of a 3" barrel (Kahr MK9). From my research it looks like:

Speer 124 Gr Gold Dot +P 55035

Winchester 127 Gr Ranger STX +P+ RA9SXTP

What says everyone about these choices?

If you are L.E. (and your department doesn't pick/issue your ammo) highly recommend Pro Load and their 124g JHP +P.

If you are a civilian suggest any Federal Hydra-Shok load, preferably the 135g version.

out of a 3" barrel

Out of a 3" barrel I'd probably go with something a little light, so you can get a bit more velocity out of that short barrel. Something in the 90gr-115gr class, and +P. Cor-Bon makes really good offerings in this load. Hornady also makes a speedy little 90gr, if you can find it. And Remington makes a really decent 115gr+P JHP that you can get really cheap in 50rnd boxes.

AL

I concur with the recommendation of the ProLoad 124 grain +P load, whether one is law enforcement or not.

Oh, and unless one is an MP, law enforcement officers _are_ civilians! :)

Corbon 115 grain + P.
There load and ballistics data is generated from testing with Glock pistols. It's what I carry.

Plue they offer a LE discount for you and your department.

Hey Weshoot,

Just curious, why recommend the ProLoad for LE but the Federal for non-LEO?
I guess my question is what is your reasoning behind diff. loads for those two diff. sets of folks? Barrier penetration?

- gabe

L.E. shoot people at different angles from civilians and through different objects, hence my advice.

Different tools for different jobs.

(I usually have my carry 9 loaded with my 115g R-P JHP-bullet +P+.)

Back