9mm ammo availability

Grunt96

Well, it's been some time since I have seen 9mm ammo available here in North Dallas at the local Wally world, let alone anywhere else. When I would find it the price was right about on par with the 40s&w loads a well. Today I made a trip to Wally World and was pleasantly surprised to find 9mm available and prices returning to what I consider reasonable. RN and FMJ was offered by Federal and WWB for around 13.74 and 14.00 bucks. I don't own a 9mm atm, and had no desire to since ammo prices were on par with 40s&w for so long; that combined with never being able to find any. I guess now might be a good time go ahead and buy the CZ p-01.

Anyhow, if you need some ammo and haven't been able to find any check your stores. Looks like things are somewhat returning to sane prices and are becoming more available. I was also really surprised to find Walmart stocking Gold Dot 180gr 40s&w. Unfortunately the only decent JHP'S they had for the 9mm was Hydrashoks. Not bad, but definitely better rounds available these days. Looks to be a good time to own a 9mm again.

Last edited:
The 9 mm supply has gotten fairly reliable at the Walmart near me (east coast of Florida). .40 and .45 are pretty available as well, and .380 trickles in occasionally. Still no .22LR, and pistol powders are very rare as well.

My Gander Mountain has good selection of most common rounds. I think .380 and .22 might have slim pickins, but it seems like the stuff I shoot they have a good supply of (5.56 & 9mm), even bulk packs.

Hey Grunt, look at ammo-can.net, they provide an idea of what wally world will have soon. Seems like they are usually about 2 or 3 days behind. Dicks has 9mm for $12.00 as of Saturday. They also sell handguns as of last Thursday per the employee that I spoke with.

Not a problem for me. I reload it and don't buy it. :)

If you think 9mm is hard to find, try finding some .38 S&W.

I do see plenty of 9mm on the shelves of local gun stores in this area.

Do you have a Bass Pro in your neck of the woods? If so, order what you need off the internet from Bass Pro and have them deliver it to your local store for pick-up. This way, you do not have to pay HAZMAT shipping fees or shipping cost either. Not sure whether other big box stores do the same.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

I didn't realize it was still difficult to find ammo other than 22lr in some places. Excluding hollow points, 9mm has been plentiful at my local Walmart for probably 6 or 8 months now. Same goes for pretty much every caliber they normally carry aside from 22lr.

I guess we are pretty lucky here. everything has been available for a good while now. powders keep climbing in price though, very annoying.

Absolutely getting better. Local wally has 100 winchester white box 9mm@ $ 26.77 and 50 count federal 9mm @ $14.77. Buddy said he saw some 50 9mm federal steel case for $10.99 but that was at the one over by him.

The .45 still looks a little high but its coming down too.. even getting some good .22 delivery, but its getting sold QUICK!

There's definitely been improvement. I've been buying at around 22 cents/round from Wally World. I have on occasion had to pay a little more but there's almost always something to be had.

2 days ago at Walmart they had tons of Federal 9mm for $9.99 per box of 50 no limit. I would say for well over a year now I have not had a problem at all finding 9mm, and it's almost always around $13-$14 per box of 50 max.

Back