9mm 9mm my kingdom for a 9mm . . .

Prof Young

Today it occurred to me that while I have a nice stash of 9mm ammo . . . I only have one 9mm gun. Maybe I should get a second. But, circumstances being what they are I might have a hard time getting the exact gun I want and have to settle for what's available. Hmmmmm . . . . local range usually has a 9mm or two as does local big box hardware store but both have far fewer handguns for sale than they used to. My inclination is to settle for the best I can get and if I don't like it sell it off when things lighten up and get something better.

Never should have sold off the Beretta 92fs.

Thoughts and comments welcome.

Prof Young

There's an awful wide range of 9mm out there.

Are you looking for a really small 9mm (Hellcat) or one with adjustable sights or a hammer fired gun verses a striker fired?

Midway USA recently (this month anyway) had the Hellcat on sale for a little under $600 so they ARE out there.

P.S. I sympathize with you about getting rid of your Beretta 92fs. IMhO that is a VERY nice handgun.

P.P.S You might just want to consider becoming an acolyte of Cheapshooters rule of guns: "Never sell or trade anything." ;)

I’m a 1911/ACP fan but believe everyone should include one 92....and one 357 revolver, one hand cannon, one single action Colt 45 and one....well you get the picture. At least one but not limited to one. You never know what ammo might follow you home.

Last edited:
Since you're in Illinois I would say think what you want and buy that or better in the next year or so when it comes back in stock. I was trying to hold out for a Kimber Stainless Target 2 in 9mm and couldn't find one. Eventually stumbled on a Smith and Wesson SW1911 in stainless for $300 more. It's a higher class handgun and I'm extremely pleased. Was well worth buying this overlooked pistol hiding in the used section at Cabelas away from all the new stuff.

Maybe I should also hunt up a 92fs in the future.

Sold my Beretta M9 last year... it was nice, sure, but I'm happier with my mid 80's Taurus 99. Sometimes those South Americans just get it right. :D

I've also got what I consider a decent stash of 9mm target ammo, but doing the math (current supply ÷ avg monthly round count) it stands at just under a two year supply if I don't buy another round.

(FWIW, I have other calibers, but let's just stick with 9mm for the sake of argument.)

I figure I could modify the equation to make it last longer or go through it faster, but buying another gun, ANY gun, "just because" doesn't make sense to me.

Ammo availability will get better, worse or stay the same, but a two-year inventory will keep me going through the next election cycle.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Join the CZ 75 variant fan club. You won't regret it!

A second choice is a 9mm 1911.

The CZ SP01 and P01 have rails.

Do you want a compact 9mm or a full size?

depends on what you already have, and your current needs/wants.

Personally For my uses this would be my preferred list
Sig P365, need ultra compact EDC
G19, need, nightstand type gun, or for if I am traveling more than 1hr away from home
g34, want, more of a target style gun
ruger PC carbine, takes glock mags, same ammo, fun range toy.

Hi Professor Young,

I know bushels of people who've settled in marriage. None of them took a shine to settling.

It's never a good idea to buy any gun other than the one you really want.

First things come before all others: what's your intention for a new gun? If you're fixin' to rend hillsides with FMJ bullets, it would probably be wise to go budge and invest the rest in a bottle of 18 year-old single malt.

If you're considering life saving application, buy the best quality you can afford, unless you don't care that your neighbor is drinking your best single malt and and your wife is making his breakfast.

If a Ruger PC is part of the plan then I'd go with a GLOCK 17 or 19.

Having a pistol and carbine that can share ammunition and magazines is a good thing.

I should have added more info . . .

Okay, I already own and shoot a Sig 365. It is a main carry gun. I've owned and sold off a host of other 9mm. Couple of high points, a springfield XDE, a Beretta 92fs, a Walter and probably some others I'm not remembering. I'm thinking I need a second at this point in case the 365 breaks down. Hmmmm . . . . maybe I should just get a second 365. Now there's an idea. Probably hard to find one. Guess we'll see.

Thanks to all for the thoughts and comments.

Life is good.
Prof Young

As a Life Member of SNM-Sons of Neanderthal Man-I recommend the pistol that "made" the 9MM. The Browning High Power. Starting shooting that steel frame and you'll never go back to anything else.

But, circumstances being what they are I might have a hard time getting the exact gun I want and have to settle for what's available.
If you can't find it... then seemingly you aren't looking very hard
There is a TON of stuff available right now
In fact, more variety than I've seen in a long time
Likely due to people selling things that have been sitting around
I've picked up some obscure firearms over the last few months

Do you own a 9mm PCC?
Great fun and there are tons of options out there

Back